• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will this cam be good in my GF Father’s car?

Mopar Hunter

Local time
10:56 AM
Reaction score
His 383 is stock with low miles, stock exhaust manifolds, runs good. This is in his RR with dual 2-1/5 exhaust, Dana with 3.54 gears and Passion 5 speed. He’s installing Trick Flow 240 heads, new six pack, roller rockers, new timing chain, new hydraulic roller lifters and of course new pushrods. This is a Howard’s cam. It’s not a racer.

E05AC8A3-4A6F-4C9C-981F-E9DCAF94FD3C.jpeg

His 383 is stock with low miles, stock exhaust manifolds, runs good. This is in his RR with dual 2-1/5 exhaust, Dana with 3.54 gears and Passion 5 speed. He’s installing Trick Flow 240 heads, new six pack, roller rockers, new timing chain, new hydraulic roller lifters and of course new pushrods. This is a Howard’s cam. It’s not a racer.

View attachment 1341457
IMO, the cam is a waste of time money and throws power (torque) away needlessly because it’s on a wide LSA & has a low lift. It’s also a smaller cam than the factory put in @ birth.

What is the engines actual compression ratio?

Being it is a manual trans vehicle, I myself would look at a cam ground on a LSA of 108. Lift would be at least another .050 = .550 or better.

Here is another question to ponder. It is one I have also wondered about often since it is actually seen very often.
If your purchasing new heads, in which these TF’s flow very well, why is it those that get upgraded heads take very very little advantage of the heads high flowing ports?

For less money, the iron heads can get a valve job and bowl work. The resulting gain in flow should be very close to the new heads. While many will point to the weight savings, they also say it’ll never be raced. Then why are we really worried?

Also, if the valve isn’t being lifted very high, as in the cam you listed above, that’s in the sweet spot of a bowl ported iron head, then what’s the point of the high flow head?

He only advantage of the cam above is the roller tappets which “roll” over the flat tappet. They have a lower velocity against the flat tappet cam on initial and then some after.

Sorry, the way I see it, your building a slower car. The only plus is the six pack induction. I’d give it a thumbs up instead of a plus if you sealed it to the underside of the hood to stop sucking in hot air from the engine bay.

Trick Flow is telling him that he has to get a smaller lift cam, they’re said that the valves will hit the walls of the 383 until he gets it bored over.

Last edited:
IMO the cam is too small for a B motor. B's love to rev and this is an RV cam. If you want an RV cam, don't go roller - it's a waste of $$$. He'd be better off with a hydraulic grind. The heads are overkill as well. He'd be just fine with a set of 906's.

Chuck (snook)

Trick Flow is telling him that he has to get a smaller lift cam, they’re said that the valves will hit the walls of the 383 until he gets it bored over.
To this end, how much lift does it take to hit the wall?

IMO the cam is too small for a B motor. B's love to rev and this is an RV cam. If you want an RV cam, don't go roller - it's a waste of $$$. He'd be better off with a hydraulic grind. The heads are overkill as well. He'd be just fine with a set of 906's.

Chuck (snook)
I told him the same thing.

I don’t think you will gain much with header’s over the HP manifolds if trying to stay non racing. Lot less hassle changing plugs and starter and burning wires. Just my opinion.

Why not get edelbrocks? Heads and intake would then both be edelbrock? The smaller intake valves should have more valve clearance...then run a cam with more lift...should have more Cam options then.

May want to try bullet cams as well. Ask for Tim Goolsby.

Why not get edelbrocks? Heads and intake would then both be edelbrock? The smaller intake valves should have more valve clearance...then run a cam with more lift...should have more Cam options then.

May want to try bullet cams as well. Ask for Tim Goolsby.
He’s had the Trick Flows for awhile, I tried to buy them off of him.

I kind of figured the heads were already purchased.
In the future if he is boring it....With the money spent he should add a stroker crank. A 496 would likely be more efficient and tamer then the 383 and would add to being a fun driver.
Our first 512 build was incredibly efficient. Actually the most efficient of any of our builds... Averaged 23mpg on a 110 mile trip to the race track.

Waste of a pair of TF heads....on a 383. Different if 440. Would perform better with stock heads. Cam is not a bad choice since he has exh man, not headers. Cam has slightly more effective duration than the factory Magnum cam & considerably more overlap because of the tighter LSA. About as big as I would go if grandpa is 'not a racer'.

Waste of a pair of TF heads....on a 383. Different if 440. Would perform better with stock heads. Cam is not a bad choice since he has exh man, not headers. Cam has slightly more effective duration than the factory Magnum cam & considerably more overlap because of the tighter LSA. About as big as I would go if grandpa is 'not a racer'.
GF=Girlfriend

I called bullet cams they recommended for his stock 383 with trick flow 240 heads this cam.
Valve lift intake - 492
Valve lift exhaust - 492
Duration intake - 284
Duration exhaust - 292
Duration at 050 intake - 218
Duration at 050 exhaust - 226
Lobe separation - 112 no lower than 110

Auto Transport Service
Back