• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wilwood rear disk setup with drum E brake heat question

Wookie316

Local time
3:32 PM
Reaction score
Question, how hot is too hot? I have an 8 ¾ with a 3:91 in it. Strange axles and Wilwood 11” disk brakes on the rear with drum style E brake. I found to get the E brake to hold the car on an incline I had to snug the shoes up more than I would on your standard rear drum setup. I can tell the shoe roundness on each side isn’t perfect because each wheel has a light drag for ¾ of the rotation, but fairly stiff for the other ¼ turn. After a 10 mile drive, a quick check with my heat gun shows 120-130 on the rear axles and around 85 on the front spindle. Is this too hot? Am I going to have to back off my shoes? If I do that I know the E brake will not hold. I have messed with each cable as well trying to get enough tension in each cable independently. If anyone has a trick or advice to how hot is too hot and a possible work around on the drum e brake setup to get it to hold better without having to have the shoes set too tight potentially burning something up! Thx in advance for the help.

Never had that problem with the drum brakes being the return springs pull the shoes right back where they need to be. Set the E-Brake tension nut so the shoes don't drag and you're usually good to go. Obviously you're in a different ball game having calipers back there. Doesn't sound like an adjustment you can safely compensate for by playing with the E-Brake adjustment. Besides, your fixing a symptom and not the actual issue. Not having return springs to pull things back you'll always have just a tad of touching/very light drag in a disc set up-if any at all, but sounds like you have something out of wack. Just going off what you're saying my guess would be your pre-gap setting of the rod into the master is just a bit off or you have a kink/bend or obstruction not allowing fluid/pressure to relieve back towards the master. Just where I would start looking. Good Luck

Guess I need to clarify. The disc operation and braking is fine. No issues with the disc hanging up or causing a drag in that regard. The Wilwood setup has a mini drum brake with shoes that the disc fits over. So if you can imagine a mini drum brake with a rotor around the edge of it, that is what they look like.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...=951JpRQASwbEQYHuCwtSZQ&bvm=bv.47244034,d.aWc

I’ve followed everything as listed in these instructions I’ve attached. With the disc and caliper off I can see the arm move with cable tension and push shoe out when you push park brake pedal. It’s your basic drum setup. Nothing fancy, so I’m obviously missing something and not sure what that is? Also still curious about what running temp should be? Any ideas? Thx.

Temp is probably a tad high, although some of that temp could be coming from your diff, i know that a slight (very slight) contact is required in the e brake area.

i have just completed the exact same setup as you, are you still using the factory cables? as i spoke to a few guys from the pro touring website and they recommended to buy the Lokar universal stainless park brake cables. also on the inner side of the drum is there not an adjuster? maybe snug you e brake up nicely then back it out a tad with that adjuster.

if anymore help is needed try www.protouringmopar.com or www.pro-touring.com as the guys here are very knowledgeable with Mopar gear but aftermarket parts i tend to not get alot of replies back, it also might be that they despise me for putting aftermarket gear on haha.

good luck

I gotcha..........Sorry, missed the drum brake inside a caliper system note. Not a whole lot of experience with those besides helping a buddy put a set together. Worked flawlessly. Myself I would give Wilwood a call if you're certain you followed the directions to a T and you're worried about it. Looks like a pretty thorough break in procedure at the end, how much have you driven this car with these brakes? 120-130 really isn't that hot at all, especially for brand new brakes.

Yes new cables front to back. Front one is the stock cable and the rear is the Wilwood brake cable kit to go along with their rear disc setup. I will check out those other sites, thx for the link.
I know when I adjust it to where I think it should be, the E brake does not hold on an incline. So now I have snugged everything up and I am worried it’s too much! I know if I back them off it won’t hold again. It’s almost like there isn’t enough travel to expand the shoe to hold? That’s why I’m scratching my head!

hell yeh put a park brake on the front wheels too so you can do reverse skids lol.
that actually looks pretty good.

Sent Wilwood an Email so we'll see what they say?

Auto Transport Service
Back