• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windage tray glue

Sonny

It’s all fun til the rabbit gets the gun.
Local time
11:39 AM
Reaction score
C393DB92-99BD-456C-A5B1-E6BBA986F29E.jpeg
What’s best for the 2 gaskets that sandwich the tray? Rtv or this?

Set your intake on the heads without the valley pan or gaskets (metal to metal) and look for the trueness of the fit. If the fit looks spot on, just use the valley pan without the gaskets. If there's some uneven-ness to the fit then use the paper gasket on both sides of the valley pan. I had a slight gap under mine and just used one paper gasket on top of the valley pan. Factory didn't use any paper gaskets.

I use High Tack, either Indianhead or Permatex, (with the brush in the can) around the ports (both sides) and gasket maker under the pan on the ends of the block.

Isn't he talking about the oil pan ? No matter, I use Indian head on both. Valley pan & oil pan/windage tray.

I've had pretty good results with Edelbrock's GASGACINCH Gasket Sealer.

Yes, that's the stuff I use. Form a gasket, good stuff. I use it on all my paper gaskets .....
Don't forget to put a little RTV in the gaps of the rear main seal retainer !

Yes, that's the stuff I use. Form a gasket, good stuff. I use it on all my paper gaskets .....
Don't forget to put a little RTV in the gaps of the rear main seal retainer !

And fill in the recessed bolt holes on the rear main seal retainer. I didn't do this and I get a couple of drops of oil after jacking up the front end.

Form-a-gasket should work. I generally use Permatex High tack
ZZ24020_L.jpg

Set your intake on the heads without the valley pan or gaskets (metal to metal) and look for the trueness of the fit. If the fit looks spot on, just use the valley pan without the gaskets. If there's some uneven-ness to the fit then use the paper gasket on both sides of the valley pan. I had a slight gap under mine and just used one paper gasket on top of the valley pan. Factory didn't use any paper gaskets.

I use High Tack, either Indianhead or Permatex, (with the brush in the can) around the ports (both sides) and gasket maker under the pan on the ends of the block.
gasket cinch- best gasket sealer ever made. put it on both surfaces ,let it air dry for 3-4 minutes or so and put the gasket in place carefully- you only get one chance.I've use gasket cinch (brand name) since the mid 60's.
I've had pretty good results with Edelbrock's GASGACINCH Gasket Sealer.

I have a different opinion on the aviation stuff, I can't stand it... It never dries or cures, it stays gooey and is worse when it gets hot. It can seal ok, but so do many other products you can use. Just my opinion I would just use some black or gray for oil. The indian head and gaska-cinch types work great also, they can be tough to get off if you have to remove the part later.

I have a different opinion on the aviation stuff, I can't stand it... It never dries or cures, it stays gooey and is worse when it gets hot. It can seal ok, but so do many other products you can use. Just my opinion I would just use some black or gray for oil. The indian head and gaska-cinch types work great also, they can be tough to get off if you have to remove the part later.
I agree - hate the stuff ,its messy to work with- but other opinions may vary.

Windage tray? I like to use weather strip glue for both gaskets to the tray. And a thin bead of silicon on the block and pan. That's so I can use the same gaskets many times over. Yeah,I find myself dropping pans a lot. Do this on several cars of mine.

The aviation sealer is specifically a non hardening sealant, well suited to aluminum, for expansion and contraction from heat. Non hardening sealers will not rupture from multiple heat cycles.

I tried the one piece from summit. After 3 try's I found out they only work with a flat rail pan. I can't verify that but I can verify they don't work worth a **** non flat pan.

The aviation sealer is specifically a non hardening sealant, well suited to aluminum, for expansion and contraction from heat. Non hardening sealers will not rupture from multiple heat cycles.
I will add on aircaft crankcase halves and other main main components (rear engine cover) nylon thread is placed in the sealant as a gasket.
Anyone using the trays with the built in gaskets?
I had a rubber impregnated /steel gasket on the pan of the trans- all it did was-leak.

Auto Transport Service
Back