• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windage trays: How to tell standard stroke VS longer stroke ?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:05 AM
Reaction score
I have a leaky oil pan in my 440/493
22.JPG
and am getting ready to fix it. I have a plastic windage tray/gasket combo I bought from Bob Mazzolini at the 2017 Spring Fling in Van Nuys. I may be wrong but it looks as if the middle section does not dip down very far for crank and rod clearance. Do you know how far it is supposed to be below the pan rail on RB engines with the 4.15 crank?

Well, that is true, but...
I'd like to know before pulling the pan and having the car apart.

If nothing's hitting it its low enough.
Stanton has an amazing grasp of the obvious....well spoken too (just teasing you brother). Dang kerndog, wish I knew. Not being stroked (unless my wife has a couple glasses of wine in her), I don't really know other than there is a difference for clearance.

Kern not sure about the depth. the trays don't sit to low they are meant to hug the crank.
Are you concerned that the tray may be hitting the pan it looks like you have a 6 qt. pan in the picture, should not be touching.
not sure about the Mazzolini tray but have read a tech bulletin about the same style rubberized Mr. Gasket tray quot:
tech note.
Works Best w/ Smooth Rail Oil Pans. Dimpled Oil Pan Rail May Leak w/o Silicone Sealant. good luck

As far as I know the plastic ones with the built in gasket are usually only good up to 4.15 stroke. There may be exceptions to that, but I haven't seen any yet.

Years back I ordered one of these from Jeg's. They had 2 styles...Stock stroke and "Up to" 4.15 stroke. I ordered the longer stroke one and when I went to install it, it did not fit. Jeg's admitted that some stock stroke trays had been shipped to customers by accident.
I was just trying to avoid that again.

The "stroker" trays will usually have the pan section welded in at the rails since there isn't enough metal to stamp the extra depth.

The "stroker" trays will usually have the pan section welded in at the rails since there isn't enough metal to stamp the extra depth.
This is a good tip for quick visual reference

Regarding the metal trays, I do remember that. This one is molded plastic.

I know this is a little late Kern but, I could not get that p.o.s. to quit leaking. I'm going to call summit again and get a refund. I was never told about the smooth rail pan issue. All I know is 3rd time is not a charm. I'm done with it!

I put a Mopar Performance windage tray gasket kit on my 470, cleared the 3.91 stroke by a mile, I bet it would clear a 4.15 stroke without issues.

Auto Transport Service
Back