• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windlace queston

RSZ28

Local time
8:36 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone used the door seal windlace from Andy Bernbaum Auto Parts? They advertise their 1965 Belvedere windlace for $7.50 per foot, and says it is a match for the originals. Thanks

Last edited:
There's a good chance it's the same as available from Kramers, or Joe Suchey. I don't think there's a lot of Mfgr's for the mid-60 Molars, especially for off color choices, like the Aqua/Turquoise.

I have found that the repro windlace I have seen/ used is more " clothy " than originals, and seem to fray after a couple of years of use. This is based on experience I had with windlance I had in a 1964 Polara 500 convertible I restored. The originals had kind of a plastic finish to them and wore much better. I bought at new set for my '64 4-door hardtop from Joe Suchy, but again they were of the cloth variety. Ultimately, I found a nice set of originals and used them.

Had to reread that as I thought you were paying $7.50 a foot for used windlace. I bought some repop stuff for my wife's 65 Satellite. It was a little thick so I used some NOS stuff I got from JC Auto up here in Washington. I think the price was comparable but would have to check the bill, but I try not to look at those as it is kind of depressing. Looks very nice regardless.

I bought mine from Jim Kramer. He has many different colors. It has been fine for the 10 years it's been in the car. It is very stiff at first making doors hard to shut.
Doug

I have been looking for some for my car as well. When I redid the seats and carpet a couple of winters ago I searched all over the place for some that had the factory look. I ended up going with a generic black.
Do you have a website or contact info for any of these sources? I did a google search for Jim Kramer and nothing related came up.

I bought this for my cars, from 2 Venders, same product.
0219220934.jpg
0219220935.jpg

In the past 30 days I spoke with Dante and he could have ordered me the Aqua but it had a 6? week lead time...I opted for just the black as it was in stock...
Nothing else is correct on my car and it never had an Aqua interior originally anyway...

Last I heard from a vendor (couple years ago) there’s only one outfit producing them per a vendor that is or used to be on the forum, and in my case they were crappola. Way too large though it suggested to install and keep the doors shut for a week or so. That was a total fail plus I effed up the door latch on the driver’s door having to hunt another one down. Had to slam the doors; never a good idea. And as posted, they were clothy unlike the originals. It was suggested to do some minor fabbing to accommodate a fit that I didn’t want to do as these run under the sill plates. Ended up returning and re-installed the old lace calling it a day (or two weeks). Could be there are better ones available now.

20170706_092411.jpg 20170706_092333.jpg

Bending the flange inward helps. Also do a careful examination. Many times the edge of the door or dash gap to the door is to tight. It may cause the material to be pinched in between the two. I actually cut, thinned, and rewelded a section at the top of the passenger door. I could see where the old strip was pinched to tight and was damaged. The tight spot really worried me as the entire inside section of my door has been removed for weight. As you can see these tricks were successful. Door closes well.
Doug

0218121622.jpg

And for you budget friendly guys like me that don't need OE original/colors.
I found that Dodge trucks of the 80's have all black rubber. Long enough to do a 2 door sedan.
Did my 64 Dart sedan and 4 door 63 Belvedere with it from Rock Auto. $13 a door (Price was 3 years ago.)I bought it for my 88 D350 Ram too.

IMG_1994.jpg
IMG_1992.jpg

And for you budget friendly guys like me that don't need OE original/colors.
I found that Dodge trucks of the 80's have all black rubber. Long enough to do a 2 door sedan.
Did my 64 Dart sedan and 4 door 63 Belvedere with it from Rock Auto. $13 a door (Price was 3 years ago.)I bought it for my 88 D350 Ram too.

View attachment 1257485 View attachment 1257486
That seal you have would be just fine with me if it fits. The red aftermarket lace looks crappy anyway as posted above; looks more pink than red.

Ron H, worked for me. Doors close fine and seal tight. Even has a sealer/glue inside where it attaches to the pinch weld.

Auto Transport Service
Back