• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Window channel felt.

blue69runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:34 AM
Reaction score
So the other day rolled down my window and then tried to roll it up again. The window would not go up. Got to the house and finely got it to go up and noticed a wad of some thing in the channel. Pulled it out and it was a piece of the channel felt. So now have to take the window out and install new felt. Any Ideas on what is causing this. Maybe the glass is a little too large or adjustment is off. These channel run's are not cheap and the work it will take to replace it is not fun. Guess it is the nature of the beast. Blue.

Are you speaking of the front of the door glass or rear of it? If it is the rear channel, you won't have to remove the glass. Only the rear channel. New felt's are available for pretty cheap. If it is the front (on the wing vent channel) then yes. Much bigger problem.

My understanding is there are 2 types of felts being sold. The more original Cat Whiskers and the newer style more solid felt strip, which I have been told not to buy. Is this a correct assumption?

So the other day rolled down my window and then tried to roll it up again. The window would not go up. Got to the house and finely got it to go up and noticed a wad of some thing in the channel. Pulled it out and it was a piece of the channel felt. So now have to take the window out and install new felt. Any Ideas on what is causing this. Maybe the glass is a little too large or adjustment is off. These channel run's are not cheap and the work it will take to replace it is not fun. Guess it is the nature of the beast. Blue.

Did you replace these when you restored the car? Or are these the originals? If you replaced them with aftermarket they were very likely straight and not contoured as the originals were and this is common problem. Also the aftermarket plastic rivets are thicker than the originals too which creates more tension.

Fortunately for you they have JUST started to remanufacture window channel felt with the proper contour on them once again. (They haven’t been available for a long time). DMT or Yearone has them and I believe they are $125. I just bought a set and they are nice pieces although very expensive, but not NOS expensive as I have seen those upwards or $500-1000!!!

I have a part number them if you can’t find them but I’m sure with 10 minutes on the internet you will.

See if you can round up the thinner original rivets when you redo this.

Did you replace these when you restored the car? Or are these the originals? If you replaced them with aftermarket they were very likely straight and not contoured as the originals were and this is common problem. Also the aftermarket plastic rivets are thicker than the originals too which creates more tension.

Fortunately for you they have JUST started to remanufacture window channel felt with the proper contour on them once again. (They haven’t been available for a long time). DMT or Yearone has them and I believe they are $125. I just bought a set and they are nice pieces although very expensive, but not NOS expensive as I have seen those upwards or $500-1000!!!

I have a part number them if you can’t find them but I’m sure with 10 minutes on the internet you will.

See if you can round up the thinner original rivets when you redo this.
Are these the gooder ones?? My passenger side felt is just about gone.

https://www.detroitmuscletechnologi...oor-glass-division-channel-guide-set-2932230/

*Edit--I just clicked on my link and this time, the site showed the description and he says yes they are the proper curved style (the first time I clicked the description never loaded for me).

Last edited:
Yes it was the channel felt front where vent window is. Yes I did replace them and had a heck of a time kept tearing them so went through two set's. Now have the curved type and hope they fit better. Parts mix has them back in stock. Think what I got where straight kind. That might have been the problem. Adjusted them but they still did roll up hard so figured they would brake in over time. Thanks for the advice. Hard to put the window in by your self. LOL.

Auto Transport Service
Back