• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Window felts/sweeps short!?!?

bandit

Local time
7:14 PM
Reaction score
Bought some new window felts/sweeps and after installing one side, notice about a 1/4" gap at the end. Figuring these new ones were just wrong, I go to the other side to look at what I assume are the originals still installed and they are leaving a gap at the end too, and there is also a gap between the vent window pillar and the door! (I see nothing that is supposed to be there to correct the pillar gap issue.) Water can go right down into the door!

I can assume the sweeps I bought were wrong but will they all do this if I get new ones??

I never drive in the rain so haven't had issues dealing with water but this is messed up.

This is a shot of the original sweep leaving a gap at the end and the gap between the pillar and door.
upload_2021-5-31_14-41-7.png

Anyone know what is going on with this???

very unlikely it will cause you any problems inside the car.

if your drain slots under the door are open all the way, water will run out, land on the sill plates.
but the gap is normal by the vent window.

bill

Thanks. I really hate the idea of any water getting in there even with the drain slots. That is such a blatantly big gap too. Bad design or some other purpose??

Can someone please post a pic of their sweeps so I can compare and feel good about this??

Bought some new window felts/sweeps and after installing one side, notice about a 1/4" gap at the end. Figuring these new ones were just wrong, I go to the other side to look at what I assume are the originals still installed and they are leaving a gap at the end too, and there is also a gap between the vent window pillar and the door! (I see nothing that is supposed to be there to correct the pillar gap issue.) Water can go right down into the door!

I can assume the sweeps I bought were wrong but will they all do this if I get new ones??

I never drive in the rain so haven't had issues dealing with water but this is messed up.

This is a shot of the original sweep leaving a gap at the end and the gap between the pillar and door.
View attachment 1117794

Anyone know what is going on with this???
They should tap forward. I use a block of wood and stightly tap them closer to the vent frame. The mounting slots are pretty long.

Auto Transport Service
Back