• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windshield scratch removal

bobs63wagon

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:11 AM
Reaction score
Got some scratches from the wiper on my 63. Any of you used cerium oxide to take scratches out? Thanks.

If the scratches don’t catch a fingernail they will polish out pretty good with the cerium oxide. I’ve used the 3m Diamond discs and the Cerium oxide paste to remove scratches and it turned ok but they were pretty deep scratches.

I had the same issues and it took days to get them to the point where you couldn’t see them. The problem is it leaves distortions in the glass which is better than scratches but still looks like ****. At some point I will be getting a new windshield which will solve the problem….

I had the same issues and it took days to get them to the point where you couldn’t see them. The problem is it leaves distortions in the glass which is better than scratches but still looks like ****. At some point I will be getting a new windshield which will solve the problem….

Pretty much the same results I got with the deep scratches but ones that didn’t catch a fingernail came out really nice.

Pretty much the same results I got with the deep scratches but ones that didn’t catch a fingernail came out really nice.

Agreed, if they don’t catch your fingernail they come out nice but deeper scratches cause by metal wiper frames cause bigger issues.

If your using a power buffer or grinder, watch the heat.. You will break a WS in no time if it gets hot... The worse thing about buffing glass, waiting for it to cool down between buffs.....

I'll have to give it a try.

Last edited:
Got some scratches from the wiper on my 63. Any of you used cerium oxide to take scratches out? Thanks.
I don't know exactly what you have but a replacement windshield doesn't cost that much from AMD (same price for clear or tinted) and others. Something to think about.
http://www.autometaldirect.com/prod...0AnedDmebsiKEdNquKagszXlJm_Jo504aAkP2EALw_wcB
380-1462-C_800.jpg

If they catch with a finger use 80grit sandpaper to sand that deep scratch out then go on to finer grits to sand out the 80 grit marks then buff glass

I don’t know that I would try that - 80 grit scratches in a windshield would be pretty self-defeating to me. I’ve used the Eastwood polishing kit with the air powered grinder and 3-grits of sanding discs. The coarse one is probably not much more that 1500 - 2000 grit. It will remove a scratch a little deeper than catches a fingernail - but you have to be really careful to prevent distorting the glass - keep the disc moving and feather out over a larger area. Don’t dig into and concentrate on the scratch alone or it will definitely result in a distorted surface. Also the sanding discs dull down pretty quick. And after finishing with the finest pad you still have to polish out the light sanding marks from it with a cerium oxide polish kit. It’s slow, tedious, messy work.

Local mom and pop glass shop charged me $420 for a new windshield and gasket. I had some estimates as high as $550. The owner of the shop has a 69 Coronet which I think helps.

Scratches from a bad wiper (before I owned it) not too bad. Doesn't catch my fingernail, so should turn out fine. I want to thank everyone for their reply. This site has helped me several times. Didn't want to start this without hearing from people who have done this.

Is there any epoxies to fill in the sand-dirt pits that have accumulated over 50 years? Or will they buff out?

$474 shipped to my address. I don't think that's too bad myself for a windshield.
I paid $445 installed to a local glass company. They came out on command in put it in perfectly. $30 discount to watch the guys put it in is worth every penny.

What company did you use and did you have the windshield trim removed?

Is there any epoxies to fill in the sand-dirt pits that have accumulated over 50 years? Or will they buff out?

Not that I have found. I’ve tried filling small pits with clear paint or even the epoxy used in glass chip repair kits, and then skimmed the excess off with a razor blade. The latter seemed to improve some of them a bit, but not really enough to warrant the effort. Light sand pitting will probably improve some with polishing but probably not enough for the effort it would take.

Not that I have found. I’ve tried filling small pits with clear paint or even the epoxy used in glass chip repair kits, and then skimmed the excess off with a razor blade. The latter seemed to improve some of them a bit, but not really enough to warrant the effort. Light sand pitting will probably improve some with polishing but probably not enough for the effort it would take.
In some cases you can use CA or super glue then once dry you can scrape off the excess with a razor blade.

Auto Transport Service
Back