• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windshield wiper linkage - converting to 3 speed.

71Beeper

Local time
12:20 PM
Reaction score
Is there a way to convert 2 speed wiper linkage to fit a 3 speed wiper motor?
I'm converting my 71 Runner wiper motor to 3 speed.
The prices of complete 3 speed linkage is crazy.
I know there is a way of converting the 2 speed linkage but am not sure what has to be done.
Any ideas?
I do know that the 2 speed wiper switch won't work as I've already bought a 3 speed switch.

Not sure about the newer B bodies but the 68-70 cars used a different crank arm and bushing. The remaining linkage was the same.

I have some crank arms if you are interested

Sixpac - I believe you can use the same crank arm, it's the bushing that is different.
I'll have to look and see if the bushing itself is available and make any changes to the crank arm to make it fit.

It was always my understanding, you had to change crank arm, motor and switch.

Sixpac - I believe you can use the same crank arm, it's the bushing that is different.
I'll have to look and see if the bushing itself is available and make any changes to the crank arm to make it fit.

I just checked Mega parts inventory. They have the 3 speed arm but the bushing is on back order. Mentions 68-up so probably the same crank arm and bushing used on 68-71. I know the crank arms and bushings are different between 2 and 3 speed. They are clocked different and the off-sets are different. Here are a couple pics of arms I have. Not for sale though.
3 speed arm is a bit longer with a 3/8" off-set while the 2 speed has a 1/4" off-set and the clocking is different as shown.

100_0371.JPG 100_0372.JPG

Here are the cranks arms I have, part numbers are in the photo. I may have a few bushings too.

9841E5EA-468B-4DFA-82B8-54B03820CA59.jpeg

I just came to the painful realization that I do not have a crank arm...:cursin:
When I bought my car, the PO said the wipers did not work, now I know why.

Auto Transport Service
Back