• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windshield Wipers - Inspection

bobfake

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:08 PM
Reaction score
Hi all - so I go to the Delaware DMV to get the Super Bee inspected (just got it three days ago). First of all...they have to do an emissions! Luckily that (barely) passed.

BUT...Because when I turned my widnshield wipers off in mid sweep, they did not "park" back in the beginning location - they failed me. I said it's a 55 year old car! He said it came from the factory that way, so they need to work that way.

Just want to check with you that this is the case...I'll get a new wiper motor to solve this, but seems a bit unrealistic...

Thanks!
Bob

You could cheat and switch off the wiper motor at the correct time to have it stop at the bottom. LOL! Otherwise, I'm pretty sure a new wiper motor will solve your problem.

Here in Pennsylvania, if a car is 20 years old or older you can register your ride as an "antique vehicle " and it's exempt from inspections.

Here in Pennsylvania, if a car is 20 years old or older you can register your ride as an "antique vehicle " and it's exempt from inspections.
Actually it's 25 years.

I am registering as an street rod…same as antique. Problem is they still require one inspection. After that, inspection is not required.

Will order wiper motor today.

is that a pretty straight install?

You could cheat and switch off the wiper motor at the correct time to have it stop at the bottom. LOL! Otherwise, I'm pretty sure a new wiper motor will solve your problem.
The inspector watched me and made sure I couldn't cheat...ridiculous...

Mother Mopar supplied a "Cam" package. To keep your original, try that. I did it with my '69 Fury back in the day.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the wiring diagram for my 2 speed wiper motor? The wires were disconnected from the ballas to the wiper motor and both low and high speed work. Just won't park.

Thinking the parking issue might be with the wires off the ballast, I connected them both. When I turned on the ignition, the wipers ran, eve with the switch "off", so I disconnected the bottom one as you can see.

Just trying to understand the electrical flow to the motor.

Thanks!

1968 Super Bee wiper Motor Picture - Wiring and Ballast.jpg

That's a picture of a 3 speed motor. The 2 speed motor is totally different. Do you have a 2 or 3 speed switch on the dash? You might have mixed matched parts.

That's a picture of a 3 speed motor. The 2 speed motor is totally different. Do you have a 2 or 3 speed switch on the dash? You might have mixed matched parts.
Thanks Tony! I have a 2 speed switch on the dash. This is the motor I received today and it’s totally different.

I guess I need to figure out how to wire the new one since the existing wiring is all screwed up for the 3 speed...

37AD5D1F-1FB8-42FA-A60A-52F1E0E0B363.jpeg

My '68 repair manual doesn't arrive until Thursday, but in the meantime, can you tell me if the cowl needs to be removed to replace the wiper motor or does the motor simply unbolt from the firewall and the new one is installed (bolted to the wiper mechanism of course)? I can't find any videos for a'68 Super Bee...Thanks!!

It is removable from the firewall. See if you can get the nut off the wiper motor crank arm from inside the car under the dash. Then remove the three nuts holding the motor to the firewall and pull it off the studs. I hope this info helps?

Hi all - I have clear access to the nut attaching the wiper linkage to to the motor. Problem is - when I try to loosen the nut, it turns the linkage, moving the wipers.

If I read the new wiper motor info correctly, it is delivered in the "park" position, so I need to keep the wipers in the park position.

Does anyone have a tip/trick for holding the wiper linkage in place while loosening the nut?

TIA!!

Bob

Pull the cowl grills and hold the arms themselves? Is it just stuck on?

Pull the cowl grills and hold the arms themselves? Is it just stuck on?
I'm using 2 long extensions and a knuckle to get on it. Easy enough. I just can't hold the linkage at the same time.

Short of any other ideas, I'll wait until I can get another set of hands to hold the wipers in place while I break that nut loose.

Thanks!!

Don't forget to squirt some juice on it

My 66 Belvederew has a motor like in post #9 but my gear box cover is metal. There's a switch inside that stops the wipers and it may not be timed right with the off switch. Been a lot of years since I messed with it but it wasn't hard to figure out what was happening. Also mine is variable speed.....

Just a shot in the dark but is there enough room to use a 1/4" drive impact to get it off? Never had a 68.

Hi all…so I’m struggling with this, trying to keep the wipers in the park position while removing this stubborn nut.

Maybe I’m overthinking this…regardless if the wipers move when removing the nut, all I need to do is manually put the wipers back in the correct parked position right? Worse case, I can take the wiper blades off and reattach in the correct position. Right?

Auto Transport Service
Back