• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

winters Sidewinder shifter kickdown hook up

jprather

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:53 AM
Reaction score
does anyone know where the kickdown linkage hooks up in a Winters Sidewinder shifter ? I still have the factory kick down, i dont see where i can hook it up

Does the kick down need to hook to the shifter?

...or just the throttle on the carb?

Does the kick down need to hook to the shifter?

...or just the throttle on the carb?
thats wht i am trying to figure out ! if i hade the parts would just hook back to column shifter till i can afford to to the slapshift conversion

i know you have 1 laying around... right ?

I have that shifter and there is NO linkage for kickdown. This is on a full manual VB 727. If you want kick down then get the OEM or Lokar cable setup, Lokar is what I would use.

I have that shifter and there is NO linkage for kickdown. This is on a full manual VB 727. If you want kick down then get the OEM or Lokar cable setup, Lokar is what I would use.
thanks, i have the OEM kickdown, but can not see any way to hook it up, just wondering where did you drill hole to run cable through the floor?

Well my sidewinder is a rear exit cable so anywhere that wont put a kink in it. Let me get a pic, maybe later or tomorrow.

Well my sidewinder is a rear exit cable so anywhere that wont put a kink in it. Let me get a pic, maybe later or tomorrow.
that would be very very helpful !

What they are saying is that the kickdown has nothing to do with the shifter. The kickdown goes from the carb to the kickdown lever on the transmission. It does not connect to a shifter in any way.

I have a Winters shifter installed on a 440/727.
The kick down cable is separate a requires
a separate bracket be mounted at the base of
the carb. Lokar's P/N SRK-4000, and cable
Lokar's P/N 03-0037. Throttle cable Lokar
P/N TC-1000U if needed.
Hopefully this will get you pointed in the
right direction.
I don't think you'll have to drill an extra hole in
your floorboard to install this setup.
20200426_225049(1).jpg

Last edited:
Kickdown and shift linkage totally separate.

That was a 2 barrel car, right?

A Four barrel car got a different throttle cable/kickdown bracket.

One for a big block isn't too hard to find if you don't have the correct one.
Small block is a PITA to find.

The only big block kickdown assy I have is on my 66.

I may have a spare small block 2 barrel one. Not sure it they are the same.

You know not to drive that car without the kickdown, right?

What they are saying is that the kickdown has nothing to do with the shifter. The kickdown goes from the carb to the kickdown lever on the transmission. It does not connect to a shifter in any way.

wow, i feel like an idiot ! it looks like im looking at the cable that runs to the column gear shift indicator ! they had hooked it to the old shifter ..

now have to figure out trans lines, the new shifter hits it when going in to park

ok, so , im not n idiot after all, this is the kick down cable, i just cant seem to figure out how to hook it up..it was hooked up on the trans where the cable connected to gear selector..

20220215_154615.jpg
20220215_154650.jpg
20220215_154701.jpg View attachment 1240783

and a new problem !

oil pan is hitting steering linkage !

20220215_161157.jpg

There should be 2 levers on the transmission. And they should move independent of one another. One should be pointing towards the front. And one about 90 degrees of the trans pan. The last picture you have there above this post. shows the original kick down lever. Notice the D shaped shaft mount. It only goes on one way. The lower one is the shifter lever. The top one is the kickdown.

20220215_154701.jpg

This is my 440 with a 727 the levers should be very close to the same. Notice the top lever hooks to the kick down rod coming from the carb. The bottom one should get a rod from either a floor shifter or a column shift. If that is the case then you have torque shaft that goes from the frame rail to the transmission. If you look towards the front of this transmission where the kickdown rod goes in a 45 degree angle you can see a hole just in front of that kickdown rod. That is where your column shifter would go to from the frame rail. Also that depends on the year I do believe.

IMG_0594.JPG

This is your picture Where I have the yellow arrow what does that rod hook to?
20220215_154650.jpg

Last edited:
Go here and download the shop manual for your car. Which looks to be a 71 Plymouth https://mymopar.com/service-manuals/
Make sure you download the chassis one as well as the body one.

Here is how the shifter from the column linkage is laid out.
autolinkage.png

Here is the automatic Floor shifter linkage laid out. Bottom right drawing.

floorshift1.png

Take the top gold lever off, install your old lever put a nut on top of it. Then bolt that bracket that is closer to the cable somewhere on the transmission housing. The rod and lever that are on top are not going to work for your kickdown cable. The one I have marked with a yellow arrow. Take it off and the gold lever too.
20220215_154650.jpg

Put this one in its place. It only goes on 1 way. Notice the d shaped shaft hole. The cable may come from the back of the transmission but the original kickdown linkage would have come from the front. Your cable will pull from the back.

20220215_154701-jpg.jpg

Should go something like this. This is just the kickdown...
IMG_0594.JPG

Last edited:
Put this one in its place. It only goes on 1 way. Notice the d shaped shaft hole. The cable may come from the back of the transmission but the original kickdown linkage would have come from the front. Your cable will pull from the back.
Should go something like this. This is just the kickdown...

Correct. Same style used on the later magnum engines. The L shaped bracket with the tab should bolt to the ear behind the levers. Then the lever attaches to the top of the shaft. There is a square push button on the engine side that allows adjustment of the cable length right behind the bracket holding the cable.

Correct. Same style used on the later magnum engines. The L shaped bracket with the tab should bolt to the ear behind the levers. Then the lever attaches to the top of the shaft. There is a square push button on the engine side that allows adjustment of the cable length right behind the bracket holding the cable.
Yea its just like putting a lokar cable in for the kickdown.

and a new problem !

oil pan is hitting steering linkage !

View attachment 1240804
Go to the Bouchillion Performance web site and look at the instructions for the kickdown cable . The parts in you picture are from them.
As far as oil pan check all your engine and trans mounts for loose or broken worn out parts.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back