• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiper Blade Refills for Old Blades.. Not new black plastic crap...

Big Bad Dad

Local time
10:24 AM
Reaction score
Where is the best source for refills for old Anco wiper blades? All that the local places seem to have is crappy black replacement blades with easy break plastic connectors. I have the old argent Anco blades that have the pink release buttons and the little air foil that is supposed to keep the blades tight to the windshields... I just want refills, not whole black crap blades. What are you guys using?
Thanks

The last time I bought refills for the old airfoil blades, I got them from Napa. It’s been a few years ago, don’t have the part number.

Got them on here a while ago. Don’t remember the details. Somewhere in Dixie I think.

This is awesome - Thanks. I wonder how close they compare to oem, cause they looks real similar to me.
Yep, real rubber and everything.
As an aside, I prefer to buy from my local NAPA over the Advance/AutoZone in town.
The NAPA is locally owned, employs local folks.
Just my preference when they both have the same stuff.

Who would have thought that wiper blades would be so hard to find BUT they are. I was looking for years for new complete assemblies for my 64 dodge and last year during the summer I got an Nos pair for my 64. They are mint with nice soft blades. I could not believe I found them as I looked for decades....
IMG_9816 (2).JPG

Anco shows blades in their "Vintage" series for our cars that look similar to the Trico's already discussed, but neither apparently have the "aero" little wings on them. I'd also love to find a set of those!

Everywhere I go has metal framed blades. Even Wally's and Rural King.

Last ones i bought were from Napa.

Who TF thought up the newer redesign for refills?

Takes ten times as long because you have to assemble them and it's almost impossible to get those metal strips in the blades and have them stay while you figure out how to slide them into the holder.

...and they decide to make the whole thing narrower than the previous standard, meaning you can't use the new refills in our old holders.

That's one engineering team I'd gladly drive a few hundred miles to personally punch in the mouth.

...and the new assemblies don't fit under our hoods if you have those that park there.

Thanks a lot, douchebags!

Last ones i bought were from Napa.

Who TF thought up the newer redesign for refills?

Takes ten times as long because you have to assemble them and it's almost impossible to get those metal strips in the blades and have them stay while you figure out how to slide them into the holder.

...and they decide to make the whole thing narrower than the previous standard, meaning you can't use the new refills in our old holders.

That's one engineering team I'd gladly drive a few hundred miles to personally punch in the mouth.

...and the new assemblies don't fit under our hoods if you have those that park there.

Thanks a lot, douchebags!
YY1 obviously has firsthand experience with this. My Bee had good ones on it when I bought the car 13 years ago. I don't drive my car in the rain so I think I've used my wipers maybe 3 times in 13 years. I'm good to go!

I'd sure like to find some of those aero jobbers for mine. Spent some time looking today, to no avail.

Can anyone explain what any possible benefit is to the new design?

I see nothing.

...but we are almost forced to replace the entire assembly, and throw away perfectly good plastic holders along with the actual wear item- the rubber.

Not to mention the inability to use the new style refills on the old style holders.

I found refills at NAPA that fit the original wipers with the curved holder. They can get the correct ones for you. Think the # is 43-!60 trico

I can't say where to find them, but I can say to make them last longer, I block the wiper arm with a small block of wood with the blade just off the glass. The problem with blades is as they lay on the glass and conform to lay one way or the other on the glass, when you use them they glide one way and because of the bent curve now formed they bounce the other. They are meant to Stick out straight not curved so when you park your ride for long periods block them up. On my newer cars that I don't drive that often I just pull the arm till it stays sticking straight out. They last a lot longer. I was taught this by a wiper vendor at a car show years ago.

OK, I did my research and found the solution. I was able to access the Anco catalog online through Rockauto. After careful measuring, I found the Anco U series refills will work. I ordered a set of the U18R refills. They will work with the old airfoil type blades. The 18" is because these are actually for my 78 Dodge D100. BUT, I also have the same style blades in 16" on my 67 Coronet. So now I can order refills for it too! These refills were $1.96 through Rockauto, and the shipping to me was about 5 bucks....

Anco U-16R fit my 64 perfect.
$4.99 from Summit, ordered with other parts so free shipping.

Auto Transport Service
Back