• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiper motor when connected makes the wiper motor switch make funny noises?????

idrivemopar

Local time
1:05 AM
Reaction score
So, I noticed that when my wiper motor is connected, and the key is on, I can hear funny noises coming from the wiper motor switch, also makes the alt gauge jump around and all the lights on the car flicker. If I disconnect the wiper motor, all is fine. thinking this is a short in the motor, but it does run normally on low and high speed, just when the switch is off and the motor parks does this problem show up. Its a two speed motor.

Anyone seen this strange behavior before?

try cycling the wipers with blades removed so it will park then re check as you could be getting feed back from the park and complete cycle contacts in the wiper motor or you have a bad switch

I cycled it with no wipers on at all, or wiper arms for that matter, still has the problem, also tired another switch, and same result. I understand what your saying about the feedback, I guess that would be easy to identify if the other circuits are showing voltage when its parked, as there should be 0 volts, so I will do some checks tomorrow to see.

if you have the repair manual with wiring check your power feeds as you should have one with key on that is constant to motor and one with power from the switch when turned on
you need to trace wiring as you may have something crossed or shorted

Well, I thought about that, but all brand new wiring harnesses throughout the entire car. I will be checking the voltages, as I do have the service manual.

There is a hot wire while in off that goes to an internal switch in the wiper motor that parks it, I believe the terminals for both sides of the switch should be labeled P1 & P2 on the wiper motor. One side of the contacts (P1 & P2) comes from the switch (off, park) and the other should go to the resistor for low. Unplug those two and see if it stops (it won't park with them off). The way it works is there is a lobe on the wiper gear that opens the contact "turn the wipers off and the contacts keep it running in low until the cam opens the contacts which parks it". I drilled the rivets out on my wiper motor and disassembled it, the grease was hard as plastic and had everything mucked up, it also had build up's of hard grease on the gear acting like multiple lobes. Hope this helps

Make sure the wiper motor is grounded (brass strip under the mounting bolt) and make certain the wiper switch is grounded. If either is not, it will cause weird problems. I had a broken strap on a 74 Road Runner. The wipers would sometimes keep running and not park when shut off, or the speeds would suddenly increase. It was an odd problem I fixed purely by accident.

Grounding on switch and motor is good, betting the lob is worn out in the gears, so have a remanufactured one on its way.

Located the issue, even though all wiring on the car is brand new from M&H, they assembled the wiper motor harness incorrectly, had the green and blue wires reversed in the motor plug. All is well now. So even if you get new wiring, double check its correct!

Was gonna say many Mopar wiper switches have circuit breakers built in the switch. I figured it had a short and you were hearing the breaker clicking on and off. Glad you found it. Ron

Interesting that you say that, as I believe that was what was making the clicking noise when it was wired wrong.

Auto Transport Service
Back