• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiper pivot question

VFilms

Local time
10:37 AM
Reaction score
going through my wiper linkage and have a question. Both pivots are in nice condition, however there is some slight resistance when I rotate them. I have an older set that are loose and rotate with no resistance. How much drag is expected when rotating the pivots?
Thanks

7D1E1CD5-60D0-4B2F-B814-51EE627742D3.jpeg

When they are clean and lubricated no resistance will be felt.

There are kits available and you can drill and install a grease fitting. The old grease will be pushed out.

My build thread shows how I added a zerk fitting to mine so that gease could be added - it's pretty easy to do too

The problem is there is no way to take the pivots completely apart to clean them, so the
best thing to do is take them off of the linkage rods and put them in the parts cleaner tank
and work them around and blow compressed air through them until they're squeaky clean.
then you can tell how much play is in the bushings. If they have too much you should
replace them because the bushing fit along with the grease is the secondary water seal.
If they are free with no play, you can install a grease fitting and fill em up and be sure
you won't be leaking water on your new carpet.

Yup, I did the grease zerk on mine and it completely transformed them. One worked O.K. but dragged a bit. Greased, it’s like new. The other was seized solid. Soaked it, carefully worked it back and forth and got it to move. Put in a zerk and grease and it's like new as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back