• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiper Transmission Arm - 72 RoadRunner with E-body cowl

slkmorse

Local time
6:44 PM
Reaction score
I have a '72 Road Runner with 2-speed wipers. From what I've found out so far with this car, it has an upper cowl from an E-body. I found this out when I ordered B-body cowl vent screens and they didn't fit. Now, I've been working on getting the wipers to work which have been bottoming out, not allowing the motor to rotate fully. From everything I can see, it looks like the main transmission arm #3431101 is too long. My hypothesis is that the wiper motor location is closer to the driver/L pivot by about 1.5" in the E-body vs the B-body. Since the cowl was replaced the B-body transmission arm is too long. I believe I need #2822292 for the transmission arm from an E-body, and my link arm for the B-body #3431103 is correct since that portion of the body is indeed B-body. The crank arm #3431553 appears to exchange between B/E body, so I think with the E-body transmission arm I'll be in business. Does anyone have eye-to-eye measurements for #2822292?

20220718_133539.jpg

After some research & buying some E body linkage arms, I've solved my problem. As you can see, the transmission arm for the B and E bodies are essentially identical.

3431101 B body
2822292 E body

The connecting arm for the E body is longer
3433103 B body
2822291 E body

The problem is when the folks who replaced sheet metal put an E body cowl in the 72 Road Runner, the right (passenger) pivot moves farther away from the left (driver) pivot. Motor to driver pivot appears to be the same between the two.
Quite the ordeal, maybe this will help someone else down the line.

Auto Transport Service
Back