• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wipers stopped working.

Jimmy Van Hoose

Local time
8:37 AM
Reaction score
74 Satellite with a 400. Wiper blades stopped working. Not showing in the manual as being on a fuse.Says on a circuit with headlights and something else but headlights work just fine. Anything I should try before I buy an after market wiper motor? Thanks.

Not likely, but mine quit recently. Turned them on, got out and gave them a nudge and they started. True story. Try simple stuff first. They are normal now. 2 speed, slow and very slow.

try grounding the motor with a simple alligator from the wiper motor to the firewall. Mine worked fine when I did that, so I just made a 2" jumper wire and left it there forever.

74 Satellite with a 400. Wiper blades stopped working. Not showing in the manual as being on a fuse.Says on a circuit with headlights and something else but headlights work just fine. Anything I should try before I buy an after market wiper motor? Thanks.
Make sure the bulkhead contacts are clean and well connected.

Mine had stopped working recently and I finally realized that one of the wiper pivots connected to the linkage arms underneath the dash was seized up. Had to take it out, soak in oil a few days and then heat it up to free it. Works good now.

My bet is the ground wire, either at the wiper motor OR at the switch/dash. That's all it took to get mine working. Seems to be a common problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back