• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wiring problems

easyrider

Local time
1:28 AM
Reaction score
I've been driving my 65 Plymouth Satellite since restoring it about 5 years ago. I had to replace the wiring harness about 2 years ago and have had no problems at all;; until yesterday. Driving along and my gauges stop working, and my radio went off and so did my a/c blower fan; then after about 5 minutes the gauges came back and radio came on only for them all to go back off in about 5 minutes and it cycled . The a/c blower fan never came back on and I looked under the hood and the compressor wasn't on. First thought it was a ground issue but they don't all use the same ground. Now, I'm looking for a power issue. It all worked for a couple years with no problems, so why now? I looked to make sure the firewall plug was connected correctly, and it all looked right. SO, can anyone tell me where to look next or what could have stopped it all from working in the first place? It will probably turn out to be something simple, but simple isn't simple if you don't know what you're looking for. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me!!

I've been driving my 65 Plymouth Satellite since restoring it about 5 years ago. I had to replace the wiring harness about 2 years ago and have had no problems at all;; until yesterday. Driving along and my gauges stop working, and my radio went off and so did my a/c blower fan; then after about 5 minutes the gauges came back and radio came on only for them all to go back off in about 5 minutes and it cycled . The a/c blower fan never came back on and I looked under the hood and the compressor wasn't on. First thought it was a ground issue but they don't all use the same ground. Now, I'm looking for a power issue. It all worked for a couple years with no problems, so why now? I looked to make sure the firewall plug was connected correctly, and it all looked right. SO, can anyone tell me where to look next or what could have stopped it all from working in the first place? It will probably turn out to be something simple, but simple isn't simple if you don't know what you're looking for. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me!!
I would check the connections on the ignition switch and the back of the fuse block. Also test the fuses with a test light or meter. Do not say they look ok. The problems seem to be off the keyed side of your switch. Take the FSM and track the circuits.

New engine bay or dash harness? When I encountered some whacky going’s on I found my fuse block was in need of attention. Found corrosion and some connections making connections with others likely due to engine/road vibration. Over the years, spades were stabbed in for extra power sources. I replaced the connections using insulated ones. Wondered why ma mopar made tiny fuse blocks given the ample room for a larger one...ok smaller is less costly.
As for another hassle I encountered, the engine bay harness, I installed a new one and had some issues with poor connections at the BH. What I should have done was replace the skanky old BH then. What happened was vibration would ever so slightly create a poor contact (in my case at the ignition wire) causing a stall/no start. After checking the usual gremlins, still no luck. It was when a buddy went around the wiring as I tried to start the car, came across the bad BH harness…wasn’t noticeable until he put pressure on it and fired up. Then I installed a new BH. Lol, then the gremlin showed up again later. What happened was the bad wire connection caused overheating inside the new harness at that wire…it was now loose. Pulled that wire out of the harness and replaced with a new one and problem finally solved. May not be your hassle; but tossing it out..

Auto Transport Service
Back