• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa: E.B. Sledge ...

Pops1967GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:29 PM
Reaction score
BOOK....E. B. Sledge's With the Old Breed - At Peleliu and Okinawa....You have to look Back in History....A gripping book, I could not put it down....I have a greater understanding of what our WWII Marine Heros did for the USA & the world.......

[video=youtube;LsdHfzfMtv0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsdHfzfMtv0[/video]

You are so right! I read that book and what you've seen on the film clips of that time do not convey what those guys really went through. It's amazing that anyone at all survived that mess. I don't know how they did it and I much more respect for all of those men that served. They truly are the greatest generation.

I recently read that book. I'd recommend it for people interested in WWII history from the perspective of those who were there.
Robert Leckie, also portrayed in the HBO mini-series, wrote over 40 books. His first Helmet for my Pillow, is his memoir of WWII. Also recommended.
I've read the 'official' biography of John Bassilone, also portrayed in the mini-series. I was not impressed with that particular book.

Thanks for this, Pops and 69Coronetrt. If any of you are interested in really great historical novels (factual but written in novel form) I highly recommend Jeff Shaara. His accounts of the Revolutionary War, the Civil War and WWII are real page turners, telling the stories from the viewpoints of generals right on down to privates. If they had used these books in high school, I would know a lot more about our country's history. Should be required reading...

Thanks for this, Pops and 69Coronetrt. If any of you are interested in really great historical novels (factual but written in novel form) I highly recommend Jeff Shaara. His accounts of the Revolutionary War, the Civil War and WWII are real page turners, telling the stories from the viewpoints of generals right on down to privates....

I also recommend Eric Hammel's work. He uses a lot of first person interviews. Most of his writings have centered around WWII (excellent three part series on Guadalcanal) but he also has books on the battle of the Chosin reservoir, Khe Sanh and the Golan Heights.

You are so right! and what you've seen on the film clips of that time do not convey what those guys really went through. It's amazing that anyone at all survived that mess. I don't know how they did it and I much more respect for all of those men that served. They truly are the greatest generation.

X2 what he just said.... a truely great generation, that sacrificed so much...

Pops, here's a good follow up for you....Sledge joined up with the same platoon as the author of this book. http://www.amazon.com/Islands-Damned-Marine-War-Pacific/dp/0451232267. It's interesting to compare the two books. Two men seeing the same things and interpreting/remembering them differently. Easy and interesting read.

69Coronetrt....It took me awhile... A very good read.....
Also working on Jeff Shaara accounts, also a great read.....
Just started lone Survivor...

tumblr_n409bm2n1Z1r4x3bno1_500.jpg

i've read the e.b.sledge book,very interesting. i had an uncle who was in the 1st marine division at peleilu and okinawa. shoot up twice and messed with his mind for a long time. neptune's inferno is a good read.

Thanks for the update. I enjoyed comparing and contrasting the memories of the two men.

Since the last post on this thread, I've made it through Iris Chang's The Rape of Nanking and The Tigers are Burning an account of the battle of Kursk. I'm about 3/4 through Eric Hammel's book on the Chosin Resevoir plus The Blitzkrieg Myth a study of strategic and tactical planning of WWII.

Islands of the Damned, A Marine at War in the Pacific was a 'great read'.....

Also read Sledge's book, was one of the best and I have read a lot ww2 books.- another great read is Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides.

Just finished Helmet for My Pillow
author, Robert Leckie. a very personal story, required reading...

For great first hand accounts of a Paratrooper, from training to combat from D-Day to the end of WW2, read the books written by Donald Burgett. A true American Hero.

Auto Transport Service
Back