• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wiw '79 Monza spyder

f8-4life

Local time
3:23 AM
Reaction score
What would you guys pay for a 1979 Monza spyder running driving car?
factory 305 4 speed window louvers side pipes 3 owners daily driver type car.
I don't really need another car but its growing on me kinda a neat car.

runs and drives needs a batt.

mpnza.jpg

they all were hardtops its a real spyder.

they all were hardtops its a real spyder.

I was being half-facetious. I wasn't questioning if it was a real spyder, but if it's not a vert/drophead it really shouldn't have been called a spyder. Sorry, the smart-*** in me came out :p

Anywho, as to your question...with a 4-speed and a 305, I think it would be fun to throw around for a while. As long as it isnt a rot-box and the wheezy 305 can keep up. Dont forget to budget to take off those gawd-awful side pipes.

Price? I dunno, a grand? What does a cherry (if there is such an animal) go for?

ditch them wheels & side-pipes 1st off
it lessons the value

I had a Monza a 77 (?) it was a Super Gas 9.90 racecar
fun car, seems everyone back then had one or a V8 Vega
which I also had as a S/C 8.90 racecar too
& another Vega as a daily driver
with a 377cid Smokeyram/cross-ram equipped roller motor
fast little light car

the Monza's were heavier, by more than a couple hundred #'s IIRC

I had a buddy that had a 75 Monza 2+2 305cid
bought it knew, he loved it
me not so much

cheap rattle traps really

I saw a really nice one a 75-76 IIRC just sell for $2500
almost all org. too, near perfect low miles too, always garaged
piss yellow & black interior

I knew a few people in the mid 70's with them

Last edited:
I'd say $2500 or less and your safe a running car for $1500 is a deal add in it's antique so cheaper to reg ect. 4 speed is a bonus! V8 ++++. I'd buy it

Also the hatch makes a good plug for a Daytona clone!

I had a Monza Mirage and even have a NOS partial set of stripes from when it was new. Fun car, especially after we dropped in an LT1 with a solid cam.

We have a 64 corvair turbo spyder hard top. :D
102_8516 (800x600).jpg
102_8516 (800x600).jpg
102_8540 (800x600).jpg

I had an 81 Spider V6 4 spd. My brother bought it new. I gave him 600 for it, drove the hell out of it and then sold it for 600. They are real piece of ****, disposable car. I wouldn't pay over a grand for a nice one.

I had a blue 79 Spider with a factory sun roof. Was the wimpy 4 banger with 4 speed. Had the louvers also. It's worth what you're willing to pay but I'd say no more than $6500 in perfect condition. If just a driver, maybe 1500.

Like Budnicks said only 200 lbs more than a vega. If Detroit & Feds would not have cut the balls off stuff in the 70s/80s there could have been some more fun. V8 Monza :steering:
Just like the Scamps and darts no weight with a V8 but they only had about 140/150 HP:(

Not a bad car. I worked on those when they were new. The v8s a bonus. If Im not mistakin the v8 models still had the 4 bolt wheels.

Half a notch above a Yugo. Weld on door hinges so if the doors are sagging, well good luck. Really weak frames rails and front suspension. To say that they are a decent car is beyond me.

Auto Transport Service
Back