• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WIW HEMI block, crank and heads

vintage chromoly

Local time
4:16 AM
Reaction score
Hello all.
A local drag racer has some HEMI stuff left over from the early 70’s.
An NOS crank, a pair of 60’s era HEMI heads and a 60’s era HEMI block.
The block had a hair line crack just above the cross bolts down near the pan rail. Story goes that they poured cold water in the block when it was hot between rounds during some kind of emergency repair. Apparently the cold water shocked the block and the hairline crack developed.

I’m assuming the block could be repaired, but I’m not well versed in cast iron block repairs.

What’s the consensus on the value of the heads and crank and can a crack as described generally be fixed and, if so, what’s a block like described worth?
Also, what’s a repair like described cost, generally?

I’m supposed to see this stuff soon, so I’ll know the year of the block and how long the crack is in the near future.

Thanks

As much fun as this shtick is, does anyone have a real opinion as to the questions?

Thanks,
Rob

The crack story sounds suspect. If it’s not in the water jacket, it’ll be a much easier job to repair and a much higher success rate probability. Without seeing it, I’d be throwing out $500 or so to repair. If in the water jacket, or a cylinder, much higher.

The crack is on the outside of the block horizontally and just above the cross bolts.

Kellog cranks radius M/R journals. That means you edge of a journal and there is no dip at edge, just a smooth transition. Crack I think should be stiched, no welding. MO.
Of couise you want it cheap, me too. Block $1500 Heads $1200 and crank $500 keiiog $750.
If you don't race and its a kellog sell it. MO.

Is a crack like that typically weldable?
Yes. I recently replaced the entire section of block sidewall in between two cross bolt mains with a section from a 440 to salvage a matching numbers hemi block that had a previous window repair that was improperly done back in the day. You really need pictures.

Here’s the section after welding inside and out. It’s been peened for stress relief and was ground for appearance afterwards, not shown here. The cross bolts bosses were also spotfaced.
This was an expensive repair but added huge value to the car.
97441BD8-F803-4392-8928-02E6C9FD02B0.jpeg

From what we can tell, this block was lightened for racing and had substantial grinding done on the sides of it making the sidewalls much thinner.

So, this was the escape route for a rod?
Looks like a nice repair, but without a true stress relieve cycle,
there's no telling when things will start moving around.

Auto Transport Service
Back