• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wo23 battery

Aron Gleason

Local time
7:12 AM
Reaction score
Anyone have pictures of how the battery is mounted in the trunk of a w023 car? And wanting pictures of battery cable routing from battery to starter.

It was sideways to avoid the lead plates stacking up in the battery case. Google images will have some reference pics.

Can’t help on the battery details. Would seem like the cable runs inside the car and that truck photo shows that.

1967 RO and WO originally came with a reverse manual valve body with the column lens labeled for the reverse pattern P R N 1 2 D Looks like they missed that detail. And why does it have throttle pressure (Kickdown) linkage?

It’s funny how all restored cars are getting gold lower control arms now. Even when they didn’t come with them new in the model year.

867CE9DF-234C-46AE-9257-2031F36EA60C.jpeg View attachment 1097075 A070E443-37A4-4402-A1EA-AA91DC1CA058.jpeg 2F3740B6-8757-4287-8731-A03992F3596A.png 7BBB71AE-0C84-4D1A-AE2E-6D4C693AB02F.jpeg

Last edited:
Anyone have pictures of how the battery is mounted in the trunk of a w023 car? And wanting pictures of battery cable routing from battery to starter.
Here are some photos of the battery and cable set up in my RO23. The positive cable runs inside the car under the carpet on the driver's side and goes through the firewall with the speedometer cable. If your car has an automatic trans, the cable could go through the firewall through the clutch rod hole. The cable terminates on a special junction block on the top of the inner fender. The red cable runs from the junction block to the starter. Hope this helps.

IMG_0293 (1024x768).jpg battery cable (1024x707).jpg

Here are some photos of the battery and cable set up in my RO23. The positive cable runs inside the car under the carpet on the driver's side and goes through the firewall with the speedometer cable. If your car has an automatic trans, the cable could go through the firewall through the clutch rod hole. The cable terminates on a special junction block on the top of the inner fender. The red cable runs from the junction block to the starter. Hope this helps.

View attachment 1097141 View attachment 1097143
Yes that helps. Thank you. So I'm assuming the negative cable is grounded by the battery?

Yes that helps. Thank you. So I'm assuming the negative cable is grounded by the battery?
Yes, the ground goes under one of the bolts that hold the battery tray to the trunk floor.

What do the use for a ground To the starter? The normal small one from the head to the firewall won’t flow enough amps for the starter.

A common battery underhood has the negative cable to the block for this.

I ran a cable from the head to the rear (engine compartment) battery tray bolt which was mimicked from the WO car in my area growing up. Not sure if that is correct.

Here is a link showing the termination of both cables:

https://en.wheelsage.org/dodge/coronet/1967/118536/pictures/wcogcf

Also of note is the lack of the special HEMI only starter relay assembly/heat shield that was featured on the '66 models. I always wondered why they did away with that for 67-up.

Yes now I remember that ground cable going to the former battery tray bolt location.

The 66 hemi had the starter relay and horn relay up on that special bracket. It wasn’t a heat shield as the relays were facing the engine.

Looks like they figured out the there was plenty of room for the starter relay on the firewall and the horn relay by the horns like every other B-body.

I ran a cable from the head to the rear (engine compartment) battery tray bolt which was mimicked from the WO car in my area growing up. Not sure if that is correct.

Here is a link showing the termination of both cables:

https://en.wheelsage.org/dodge/coronet/1967/118536/pictures/wcogcf

Also of note is the lack of the special HEMI only starter relay assembly/heat shield that was featured on the '66 models. I always wondered why they did away with that for 67-up.

Good catch! I added one to my car not knowing if it was factory or not.

IMG_0205 (1024x768).jpg

Where does the 2nd red wire go to? Small stud on starter or big stud on starter relay?

Auto Transport Service
Back