• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wolfman Jack Is Back!

haywire 440

Full Speed Ahead
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:09 AM
Reaction score
That’s right! The gravelly voice of Rock and Roll has a premiere role as the voice of the 1972 late night New music show called “The Midnight Special”. An article in a Newspaper said the original creator of the show, who used his own funds, has released the series on YouTube. Through the years the historical film footage was upgraded to digital and preserved with fantastic resolution and sound.

Johnny Carson promoted The Midnight Special on his show to keep his audience watching his to the end. Ed McMahon has an appearance on the second episode.

IMG_2699.png

John Denver was the first host as the creator didn’t want someone “too scary”. TV Stations across the Nation had to adapt quickly as some viewers and Station Management felt the need to censor some content. A few shut the show off completely after Alice Cooper’s performance was deemed “unfit for their viewership”.

The show ultimately was used to promote the new voting law which lowered the age to 18.

I’ve watched only 2 shows so far but it’s a thrill to watch. Here is an Helen Reddy song that peaked my ears and interest…

Everyone should find a youthful favorite here, some here will see and hear what music was like back then for the first time.

Live Rare Earth was tops for me so far but shoot there’s a treasure trove of gold in these shows.

Last edited:
I have no idea what the hell you're talking about? Wolfman Jack's been dead since 1995!

There's a radio station here (K-Jewel, 99.3 in the central valley) that plays mostly 80s hits with some 70s and a few 90s sprinkled in. But on weekends, they play re-runs of America's Top 40 with Kasey in the morning and then Sat/Sun nights is about 4-6 hrs of Wolfman Jack shows from back in the day.....pretty cool. Brings back memories!

We get a kick out of all the sexual innuendo and NON-pc content in his broadcasts.
To do that new today, well, can you say "cancelled".....

That’s right! The gravelly voice of Rock and Roll has a premiere role as the voice of the 1972 late night New music show called “The Midnight Special”. An article in a Newspaper said the original creator of the show, who used his own funds, has released the series on YouTube. Through the years the historical film footage was upgraded to digital and preserved with fantastic resolution and sound.

Johnny Carson promoted The Midnight Special on his show to keep his audience watching his to the end. Ed McMahon has an appearance on the second episode.

View attachment 1465251

John Denver was the first host as the creator didn’t want someone “too scary”. TV Stations across the Nation had to adapt quickly as some viewers and Station Management felt the need to censor some content. A few shut the show off completely after Alice Cooper’s performance was deemed “unfit for their viewership”.

The show ultimately was used to promote the new voting law which lowered the age to 18.

I’ve watched only 2 shows so far but it’s a thrill to watch. Here is an Helen Reddy song that peaked my ears and interest…

Everyone should find a youthful favorite here, some here will see and hear what music was like back then for the first time.

Live Rare Earth was tops for me so far but shoot there’s a treasure trove of gold in these shows.

Now that's a pretty impressive lineup!

We just watched American Graffiti the other night! I asked my wife if she remembered that the Guess Who did a song about Wolfman jack,She didn't remember the song at all! Who doesn't remember "Clap For The Wolfman" !

There's a radio station here (K-Jewel, 99.3 in the central valley) that plays mostly 80s hits with some 70s and a few 90s sprinkled in. But on weekends, they play re-runs of America's Top 40 with Kasey in the morning and then Sat/Sun nights is about 4-6 hrs of Wolfman Jack shows from back in the day.....pretty cool. Brings back memories!

We get a kick out of all the sexual innuendo and NON-pc content in his broadcasts.
To do that new today, well, can you say "cancelled".....
Not sure if it is the same thing, but about 5 years ago there was an oldies station in or around Sonoma County, CA that had a late-night show on weekends that had Wolfman's sound bites that they would play after real callers. Not sure, but I am pretty sure it was all pre-recorded. It was pretty seamless. Sounded like he was still taking calls and spinning records. I would listen to it on an old battery powered radio while sleeping outside at our old hunting club. The young dude's thought I was a bit odd.

We just watched American Graffiti the other night! I asked my wife if she remembered that the Guess Who did a song about Wolfman jack,She didn't remember the song at all! Who doesn't remember "Clap For The Wolfman" !
I have that album. Burton Cummings was doing the song including impersonating Wolfman Jack's voice and thought it would be a good idea to call up Wolfman Jack to make sure he didn't mind. Wolfman said - "why not just let me record those parts for you?" And so he did.

I remember seeing him at the Sacramento Autorama in the 80’s.
Also remember seeing a wire up, where he had his canine teeth pointed like a wolf.

VD For The Wolfman?

It is the act of slapping your hands together to applaud something or someone, not that medical issue that you brought back to Massachusetts after visiting the villages in Florida a few months ago! Penetration leads to Penicillin down in the villages!

Let the midnight special shine its ever lovin
light on you. :drinks:
Great show also let's not forget Don Kershners ? (spelling) Rock Concert.

Let the midnight special shine its ever lovin
light on you. :drinks:
Great show also let's not forget Don Kershners ? (spelling) Rock Concert.

That Rock Concert show was a great late night show too. The article also included the facts that most of the tape and footage of that show were unfortunately recorded over and lost forever.

Could these shows have been the precursor for the current “America’s Got Talent” and “Masked Singer”?

Can’t forget Ed Sullivan and the fellow who could keep all those plates spinning, dozens, at one time. He might be the reason for the uptick of ADHD in the world. :rofl:

That Rock Concert show was a great late night show too. The article also included the facts that most of the tape and footage of that show were unfortunately recorded over and lost forever.

Could these shows have been the precursor for the current “America’s Got Talent” and “Masked Singer”?

Can’t forget Ed Sullivan and the fellow who could keep all those plates spinning, dozens, at one time. He might be the reason for the uptick of ADHD in the world. :rofl:
Ed or Red Skelton lol.

American Graffiti

Wow that’s good music. Just a month or so ago I had an out of body experience in my new home town on a hill in Arkansas. The local town had an American Graffiti type event where the custom, hot rods, vintage station wagons or whatever could cruise up and down the 4-lane Main Street. Folks and families with chairs lined 6 blocks in a celebration and what a beautiful day/night. The older crowd was positioned high in a Church parking lot overlooking the event. The “kids” were relegated to a big shopping center parking lot and boy did they need it. There were hundreds of cars and many more people. It was a utopian feeling. If music like this was playing on all the car stereos I’d have to wonder if we all had arrived to the promised land.

Auto Transport Service
Back