• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Won't start

RockinRobert

Local time
6:16 AM
Reaction score
I have a 66 Belvedere with a 440, MSD ignition system. Couple of weeks ago I went to start it, it had been driving perfectly previously. Turned over, started to run, died and now it hasnt started since. Made sure it had gas. Today Checked the spark. I'm getting spark to the plugs but it's a whitish/orange color. As I recall from my younger days it should be blue, correct? What things do I check first? Thanks in advance for your help!

do you have an extra coil?

Look down the throat of your carb, work the throttle shaft and see if there's a squirt. If not, put a tablespoon of gas in it and see if that makes it want to start.

edit: Have a blanket or coat at the ready, and of course, there is an extinguisher by the exit.

Last edited:
It was the fuel system, thank you very much Sam Dupont! I took the pump off and I see a chunk out of it! Could this be the problem?
IMG_1616.JPG
IMG_1616.JPG

did it fire up when you put gas in the carb? look in the hole can you see the fuel pump diaphragm.

Catastrophic pump failure. Never done it myself, don't know how, but I would try to ascertain why it failed. Is something binding or was it a poor casting from Edelbrock?

pull your pump rod out and check it and measure it,time for a new one.

Auto Transport Service
Back