• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Woodgrain Steering Wheel Refurbishing

AFB

Local time
9:51 PM
Reaction score
Anybody have any links, videos, tutorials, etc, on how to refurbish a wood grain wheel? The vinyl on mine has a gap about 1/4" wide/long in it. There is a small piece of plastic of a slightly different color right next to the gap. It looks like an original factory filler of some sort. Would appreciate comments & suggestions.

Anybody have some paint colors/codes for the woodgrain? Seen lots of posts on methods, etc., but nothing on what paint to use.

Eastwood has a steering wheel repair kit, it comes with the epoxies & a book on general steering wheel restoration. The book doesn't get specific for the Mopar wood grain wheel but there is a thread from late 2009ish on Moparts.com with a lot of info as well. http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=5681443

Where at in SW Mo are you? father's over in Marshfield.

062.jpgView attachment 93784

http://garyssteeringwheel.com/ Gary did this one, had several cracks overall bad condition. He is a class act and excellent restoration source.

Gotta Confirm Gary's work! This one is the original (finished) wheel from my `66 Belvedere. When he started the whole ring was smooth, except for the finger reliefs...they still had a small bit of 'wood grain' left in them.
New_wheel_finger_reliefs.jpg

He put the three dimmensional grain back into the entire wheel.
Steerin_Wheel_new_grain.jpg

Including the simulated wood joints!
New_grain_joint.jpg

Cost is not a whole lot more than an aftermarket wheel, and in the end a very unique piece that gets plenty of compliments
Wheel_grain.jpg

Restored_Steering_Wheel_installed2.jpg

For the best results, send it out to a professional. There are only a few of us that have the reputation and experience to make your wheel look right and last a long time. We use only the finest professional materials and techniques so we can stand behind all of our products and services. If you decide to do it yourself and you use anything you can get over the counter, including the PC7 like in the Eastwoods kit, it may look good while you're repairing it, but as soon as you expose it to any temperature extremes, it will crack right back out.

Dave

Attachments

• 68-70 B CLOSE WOODGRAINWHEELS.COM.jpg
    68-70 B CLOSE WOODGRAINWHEELS.COM.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 496
  • 68-70 B WOODGRAINWHEELS.COM.jpg
    68-70 B WOODGRAINWHEELS.COM.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 587
Last edited:
Hey Plum (or other wheel experts),

I have a 70RR with the black (bakelite?) steering wheel and it's got "cracks" 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide - missing material right down to the steel hoop. That HAS to go to a pro I assume. Anyone have a good recommendation for a wheel that i can use in the meantime? A decent Grant wheel or whatever? What a-dapter kit (Johnny Cash quote) do I need?

My wheel doesn't have the soft black raised center hub like the one shown in Plum's picture. It has the flat center with the Roadrunner emblem. Sorry not a great photo...

Greg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 461
Greg,

You have the most common wheel in your Road Runner and yes it can be repaired. In 70 they made the wheel with a "pebblegrain" type finish which is nearly impossible to restore (reasonably). The good news is you can get a brand new one from Mike Ross at BEAPARTS.COM for less than restoration costs. Plus it will have the pebblegrain finish and be made from modern plastics that will most likely last longer than your original. All of your parts will swap over to it too. Tell him I sent you.

Dave

A buddy of mine has started rebuilding wood steering wheels here in SE MIchigan.....he did the wheel for his 67 Comet and it came out really nice.....has all kinds of people wanting him to make steering wheels for him........not cheap but high show quality work.
If interested PM me.....

Auto Transport Service
Back