• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Workin on the Dart "The thread"

68 HEMI GTS

Local time
10:09 AM
Reaction score
had a few hours today in the garage. Trans is out, motor is ready to come out. Not sure what the timeline will be. Not in a huge hurry, if it takes a few years to get it back together I'm good with that.

A little background, I machined and built this motor in my mid 20's on a tight budget. Took a few years for me to complete. Its 10.8:1 iron head motor. 4.150 crank 4.400 bore. I've ran the piss out of it for about 10 years now, with both 4 speeds and an auto. Other than lifters I haven't done any real maintenance on it. Still on the original bearings and valve springs. I've had it apart for inspection but never changed anything. It's been raced hard at the track and went on 100+ mile cruises on the street. Usually runs in the 10.30-.40 range. The car has been in the family since 72. Was my dad's hot rod in the 70's. I grew up with the car and have had it since 2006. The weight of the iron headed hemi is starting to stress out the k frame. So I'll be changing up a few things on the front of the car as well as looking to loose some weight off the nose. This car currently weighs 3560 without me in it. I'll also be looking to make a bit more power with it when it goes back together. I'll try to update the thread as I progress.

IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2514.JPG

68, I see you have the trans out. would you be up to helping me with 2 measurements. I had my convertor redone by turbo action and they installed some new lugs on the convertor that seem to be very large. the measurements would help before I remove the trans.

Cool stuff,
I'll be watching

good luck

68, I see you have the trans out. would you be up to helping me with 2 measurements. I had my convertor redone by turbo action and they installed some new lugs on the convertor that seem to be very large. the measurements would help before I remove the trans.

Sure, what do you need?

the thickness of the lugs on your convertor. mine are 5/8's thick. and I had the convertor 1/2 inch back like it calls for in my service manual before installing the trans. now when I spin the convertor by hand it hits the SFI flex plate. I am thinking they put the wrong lugs on it.

Im interested to see where this goes.
I just cant wait three years. Lol

the thickness of the lugs on your convertor. mine are 5/8's thick. and I had the convertor 1/2 inch back like it calls for in my service manual before installing the trans. now when I spin the convertor by hand it hits the SFI flex plate. I am thinking they put the wrong lugs on it.

.640 on the lugs. Lug is 1/2 from face
IMG_2518.JPG

-68- Norwalk in Ohio? Been 30+ yrs since I've been there. My youngest always wants me to go, but the "juices" start to flow too much!!!!

dam that's what I thought. these lugs are larger then the one's that were on it before. thanks a lot 68. you've been a big help. now I have to figure out how to handle this. do I drop the trans and send the convertor back to get the lugs shaved or just take a little off the top. so to speak. any ideas

Are those the new Victor Jr heads?

I've wanted a set for my iron headed engine as well. Are you going to try and re-use your pistons, or do you need special ones to account for the bigger valves and tipped exhaust angle?

Are those the new Victor Jr heads?

I've wanted a set for my iron headed engine as well. Are you going to try and re-use your pistons, or do you need special ones to account for the bigger valves and tipped exhaust angle?

Yes, I had a ton of p/v so I'm not to concerned. Not sure if I'll be using that rotating assembly though, I would really like to step it up a bit if I can find room in the budget.

dam that's what I thought. these lugs are larger then the one's that were on it before. thanks a lot 68. you've been a big help. now I have to figure out how to handle this. do I drop the trans and send the convertor back to get the lugs shaved or just take a little off the top. so to speak. any ideas

If yours are 5/8's there actually less than mine. .625 vs .640

Yes, I had a ton of p/v so I'm not to concerned. Not sure if I'll be using that rotating assembly though, I would really like to step it up a bit if I can find room in the budget.
I'm looking for a 4.15 crank if your selling?

Good luck with it. And you have your Roadrunner to drive while its down. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back