• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worrell 1000

ksurfer2

Local time
10:56 AM
Reaction score
Started this morning. I am sure this event will be news to most on this forum, but this is one of the most insane sailboat races in existence. Take an 18ft beach cat and sail it from Ft Lauderdale FL, to Virginia Beach VA. 11 legs of about 100 miles each day. The race started in the 70's and went away in the early 2000's. Through the hard work of some dedicated individuals, it was revived a couple years ago. I did this races "baby brother" a couple times in 08 and 09. Back then, we went from Islamorada FL, to Tybee Island GA.

2001worrell10002.jpg

I would love sail but i get motion sickness. Not sure if i'd ever be able to get my sea legs.

I started sailing about 20 years ago . My sailing mentor has atrimaran ,3 hulled sailboat . We raced across Lake Michigan several summers in a row . Hard to believe how differant 25 miles an hour is from just the wind . Physically exhausting . Our sailboat is much slower , top speed maybe 6 miles an hour .Just for perspective , imamgine a 1970 Dodge dart with a 426 ,versus our 1966 Coronet with a straight six . We always have great music and great food .
As far as getting seasick ..once you barf ..you'll feel a lot better and you will be good to go ..

I started sailing with my uncles when I was about 5 or 6 on long Island sound. In my teens I crewed during the the summers. It was a wonderful experience, like a pirate sort of. Sixty years later I still sail and I still use my Hobie 16 regularly which I bought many years ago.
We take it to the obx every summer and sail up and down the coast.
Sailing beach cats can't be beat

Fleet is a little over half way to Virginia. Sporty leg today that finished on Cape Hatteras. Vid below of 1st boat to the beach...Coming in Hot!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back