• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worse smellin tire smoke ever!!

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:10 PM
Reaction score
Had my beater Dakota backed up under my carport to unload some stuff and decided to do a little burnout when turning it around and did a power brake then let off and nailed it and laid down a nice stripe with the little 205-70-15 but when I came back under the carport, the smell was horrible!! Dang made in Vietnam tire stank like no other I've ever smelled. What the hay are these things made with!? Not much wind today so the smoke hung around for a bit and had to go to the front of the shop to get out of the stink once I got out of the truck.....

The rubber trees burned some years ago.
Ever since, most things are made with a blend, or without natural rubber. This is why seals leak brand new, dry up, hoses dry up in like 3 years and break, tires have a 5 year expiration date.
Humans were very clever with chemistry and made many variations of what is basically a thermoplastic rubber. Initially this was added in small amounts to rubber tires for longer wear.... remember in the late 90's when we got introduced to 75,000 warranty tires that actually were quiet and rode nice? Well, when the rubber part of the equation got scarce and pricey, they put less in.
PLUS,
Americans love Walmart. So they go there and buy tires of all things, made in China or otherwise. Ain't no rubber in chinese goodyears. Then they use soft compound to make them quiet, and they wear out in 20k miles. But people go buy more, cause they are cheap. that is the story of most everything from 1998ish to 2018ish. Now people are fed up with it because everything is like that. but the good stuff went bankrupt so we get what we get now.

If you want good smelling, rubber, not chinese tires, they cost a lot. Most brands have some lines they make in this country yet. goodyear/Kelly still makes a few things in Illinois for example. Depending on what you are after Coker might have something for gonzo money. otherwise you get tires made of the same stuff as dollar store hammer handle grips.

Much of what Detective D says is true; However, most quality brands of tyres - GoodYear, BRG, Continental, Michelin etc, still make good tyres with actual rubber. Just make sure they are made in North America or in Europe. Some south american plants belonging to good companies still make decent hoops.
And NEVER, EVER, buy anything from the evil empire! [w**m**t]

Much of what Detective D says is true; However, most quality brands of tyres - GoodYear, BRG, Continental, Michelin etc, still make good tyres with actual rubber. Just make sure they are made in North America or in Europe. Some south american plants belonging to good companies still make decent hoops.
And NEVER, EVER, buy anything from the evil empire! [w**m**t]
A few years ago I had a flat and the stock jack failed so I drove the truck to the nearest Discount Tire to see if they would lend me a jack at least. No can do they said. The tire that went down was junk and the only way to get a tire on it is if they sold me one and put it on. Ok...do it. They matched the size of the other tire which was fine with me but, the other tire was pretty old too so they both came off and I stuck on a pair of good tires that I had at home but are 265-75-15....which are 29.5" tall and are too tall for a low hp V6 engine. I used the new little tire (205-70) as a spare.

Well, got tired of dealing with the too tall tires so tried to go back to Discount Tire and get another 205-70 and nope, none in that size anymore but found another at Walmart. It was a different brand but same size. Even the roll out is the same. The too tall tires are Yokohama's and are getting old now at 12 (build date is 3611) but are made in the U.S. The Yoko's were bought for a 2000 Durango with 3.90 gears and 5.2 engine. The Walmart tire is the one that stinks like sheeet. I may swap sides with the Discount store brand that's on the driver's side (the Dakota is a one wheel peel) but it's made in Thailand and will probably stink just as bad lol

A few years ago I had a flat and the stock jack failed so I drove the truck to the nearest Discount Tire to see if they would lend me a jack at least. No can do they said. The tire that went down was junk and the only way to get a tire on it is if they sold me one and put it on. Ok...do it. They matched the size of the other tire which was fine with me but, the other tire was pretty old too so they both came off and I stuck on a pair of good tires that I had at home but are 265-75-15....which are 29.5" tall and are too tall for a low hp V6 engine. I used the new little tire (205-70) as a spare.

Well, got tired of dealing with the too tall tires so tried to go back to Discount Tire and get another 205-70 and nope, none in that size anymore but found another at Walmart. It was a different brand but same size. Even the roll out is the same. The too tall tires are Yokohama's and are getting old now at 12 (build date is 3611) but are made in the U.S. The Yoko's were bought for a 2000 Durango with 3.90 gears and 5.2 engine. The Walmart tire is the one that stinks like sheeet. I may swap sides with the Discount store brand that's on the driver's side (the Dakota is a one wheel peel) but it's made in Thailand and will probably stink just as bad lol
Did it smell like the inside of a Harbor Freight store? Or like peated Scotch? :lol: Both smell the same!

Did it smell like the inside of a Harbor Freight store? Or like peated Scotch? :lol: Both smell the same!
Uh, no....much much worse!! Can't even describe the smell and have never smelled anything like it. May try and block the right side tire and get the left side spin and see if it's the same lol

The rubber trees burned some years ago.
Ever since, most things are made with a blend, or without natural rubber. This is why seals leak brand new, dry up, hoses dry up in like 3 years and break, tires have a 5 year expiration date.
Humans were very clever with chemistry and made many variations of what is basically a thermoplastic rubber. Initially this was added in small amounts to rubber tires for longer wear.... remember in the late 90's when we got introduced to 75,000 warranty tires that actually were quiet and rode nice? Well, when the rubber part of the equation got scarce and pricey, they put less in.
PLUS,
Americans love Walmart. So they go there and buy tires of all things, made in China or otherwise. Ain't no rubber in chinese goodyears. Then they use soft compound to make them quiet, and they wear out in 20k miles. But people go buy more, cause they are cheap. that is the story of most everything from 1998ish to 2018ish. Now people are fed up with it because everything is like that. but the good stuff went bankrupt so we get what we get now.

If you want good smelling, rubber, not chinese tires, they cost a lot. Most brands have some lines they make in this country yet. goodyear/Kelly still makes a few things in Illinois for example. Depending on what you are after Coker might have something for gonzo money. otherwise you get tires made of the same stuff as dollar store hammer handle grips.
Hoosiers are manufactured in Indiana.
20190509_083304.jpg
Learned long ago to stay away from
the cheapo crap off brand stuff.
My dad, tended to be on the thrifty side
and would buy recaps from Big-O.
They held up reasonably well.

According to the Michelin website (I got curious and looked it up):
"Over 200 ingredients go into a tire. They play vital roles in safety, fuel efficiency, performance and eco-friendliness.
These components fall into five groups:

• Natural rubber: the main component of the tread layers
  • Synthetic rubber: part of the treads of car, van and 4x4 tires
  • Carbon black and silica: used as a reinforcing agent to improve durability
  • Metallic and textile reinforcement cables: the "skeleton" of the tire, forming the geometric shape and providing rigidity.
  • Numerous chemical agents: for unique properties like low rolling resistance or ultra-high grip
I dug a little further and found out that typically there is more natural rubber in truck tires than in passenger car ones...

According to the Michelin website (I got curious and looked it up):
"Over 200 ingredients go into a tire. They play vital roles in safety, fuel efficiency, performance and eco-friendliness.
These components fall into five groups:

• Natural rubber: the main component of the tread layers
  • Synthetic rubber: part of the treads of car, van and 4x4 tires
  • Carbon black and silica: used as a reinforcing agent to improve durability
  • Metallic and textile reinforcement cables: the "skeleton" of the tire, forming the geometric shape and providing rigidity.
  • Numerous chemical agents: for unique properties like low rolling resistance or ultra-high grip
I dug a little further and found out that typically there is more natural rubber in truck tires than in passenger car ones...
Carbon black is the most common colorant in injection molding.
Natural rubber, and actually the regular not-rubber, are not black. They add carbon black to make the stuff black, because it is the cheapest way to do it. It is a powder, and deffinately does not add anything beneficial besides color.
Silica is anti-wear. Uniroyal used to DUMP that stuff in, it made the tread feel like sandpaper lol

Auto Transport Service
Back