• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worst day ever

Pat70rr

Local time
2:20 PM
Reaction score
Well boys and girls I have had the ultimate kick in the groin I recently decided to get inspired to get back into my car I went ahead bought the disc brake parts front end kit and in the process of seats redone so last week I cranked her over, was ran last summer often actually about 1500 miles on motor oil clean and I start it and while idling I notice smoke as I fiddle in garage its white but its 40 out so I assume condensation so I think nothing of it now the garage is loaded with smoke dog has abandoned me and wife is yelling at me so I look in close and smell oil , great so I check oil and coolant all ok so I proceed to pull plugs on left bank first 3 ok but last hole plug Is loaded with oil great! so I pour a few oz of marvel mystery oil as being the other weekend mechs opinions and let it soak a few days so today I change the oil and add alittle more MMO and pray well as usual no luck smoke out the driverside tailpipe after warm up ....well closed the hood and hung my head. Sad day well have to weigh my opions fix /sell/ drive the $hit out of it maybe it will magically disappear lol or just throw cover back on...

It was so cold here, that I lost two valve stem oil seals upon startup.(383) I found them broken sitting inside the spring lots of oil in the cyl.. it smoked on one side like yours. 24k actual miles. Don't lose hope yet.

Monaco did it smoke on start up or after it warmed up??? thanks for your input

smoked bad at startup, and around the covers. warmed up at Idle, then out the tail pipe. The white was blowby(oil)smell. It was really cold here, and the car had set for five months. I figured it was a valve stem, as the smoke wasn't heavy. sort of like a 55' dodge with a blow-by tube back in the day.LoL Your oil rings could have stuck temporarily, cold weather does weird stuff. was it outside?

no inside but its been really cold here worst winter in a while I don't see smoke around cover but its that white smoke when hot which kinda tells me ring but ill pull cover tomorrow and have a look see it doesn't smoke on start up like a seal usually does but before I slap a sign on it ill check for a bad seal

keep in mind a little oil makes a lot of smoke. add fresh oil with plenty of Zinc. don't rev it up. let it warm up, outside. I have a 440 that hadn't started in 18 years, did as I said. 30 minutes of smoke, then never again. 440's are really rock solid hard block engines.
Chevy guys quietly grumble out of envy I think. machine shops love chevys, they keep the doors open working on them. Sorry to turn the topic! :hello2:
:

It is true heavy use is blue, blowby is so light it looks white. you have to go by the smell. and how fast it evaporates. antifreeze white is a hot exhaust, and disappears. oil just lingers. and smells, not sweet like antifreeze. just an old guy speaking.

could be worse, your car could have fallen off the jackstands like mine did last week!

I'm assuming you and the car are alright at least I hope so

Isn't oil smoke blue? Normally white smoke means it's running too rich.

quick note .. black is too rich, white normally means water, blue is normally oil blowing past the rings.

I'd listen to monaco .. may be something minor .. can't hurt

Your car was on Graveyard cars?

........................ laughing4.gif

image.jpgok so I got up took care of the honey to do list and had tv on in background and I hear Walter Matthau in the bad news bears tellin kids that quitting is a hard habit to lose so I pulled valve cover and found....pushrod through rocker

yea I never put more than 50/75 miles on her every summer since engine was redone in 1993 so im thinking collapsed lifter rod was probably bouncing for a while im so relieved was leaning towards ring job.....

that would do it! how did that happen I wonder? I've never seen a rod punch through a rocker, usually they bend first.

yea I rolled rod didn't seem bent to the naked eye weird.....but its a load off my mind

that pushrod is different than mine,one end is smaller. what year is that?

Auto Transport Service
Back