• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WOT problem

Davidrad

Local time
3:38 PM
Reaction score
So I've had "Rosco" for a couple weeks now. I finally got him to the point that he can run for a while without trying to kill me with oil and gas vapors. Now when at operating temp he dies if I give him gas suddenly. All of the vacuum crap is still there. I did put the vacuum advance directly to the carb. I also added in about 5 degrees of timing. When he dies after a try at WOT he fires right up instantly. Thoughts?

So I've had "Rosco" for a couple weeks now. I finally got him to the point that he can run for a while without trying to kill me with oil and gas vapors. Now when at operating temp he dies if I give him gas suddenly. All of the vacuum crap is still there. I did put the vacuum advance directly to the carb. I also added in about 5 degrees of timing. When he dies after a try at WOT he fires right up instantly. Thoughts?
First thought is accelerator pump not working.................MO

You need to fill us in with the engine, carb and ignition combination first.

318, carter bbd, bone stock everything. I don't know total timing yet. My timing tape isn't here yet.

First thing I would do is run the car for a few seconds to make sure the bowl is full. Then SHUT car off. Look in the carb and floor the linkage. Does it squirt and strong shot of gas in? It should. That's the accelerator pump circuit

Points or electronics ignition?

Assume you did some simple stuff 1st like new fuel filter and might see if that carb has an internal cup/screen filter (my old carb did that was half clogged) some do and don't. When you say gas/oil vapors you confronted what did you do on that?

I had an exhaust leak and the valve cover gasket was leaking onto the exhaust. Took care of those. Changed inline filter. Haven't broken into the carb yet. It may be just too lean after I gave me it more timing.

QUOTE="Ron H, post: 910738407, member: 24335"]Assume you did some simple stuff 1st like new fuel filter and might see if that carb has an internal cup/screen filter (my old carb did that was half clogged) some do and don't. When you say gas/oil vapors you confronted what did you do on that?[/QUOTE]

More timing isn't going to make it do what your describing. If it's bone stock just set the timing to factory specs.

Sort of reminds me of vapor lock but you say car starts right back up that's not the usual case with lock until some cool down. Ya got some good tips with the check for fuel squirt in the throat and possible accelerator pump issue. Could also be bad fuel pump that's a pretty simple and inexpensive fix. Other things could be history with your car maybe sitting a lot causing fuel sludge build up inside the carb; this can affect the AP, jets, and the floats among the other multiple carb components. How does the carb look on the exterior pretty gummy or not bad? Could soak it with carb cleaner in and out to see if any improvement and put some premo gas in it if you can find a station that sells it and run that through without getting heavy on the pedal for awhile just nice cruising time then get a little more heavy if running fine to see what happens. If it improves run some additive through for a while. I've used Marvel oil recommended by old school mechanics but there are other additives of course to help clean the fuel system. If these don't work then gotta get more aggressive. Seems like it's a total gas delivery thing as I read since you don't mention anything about misfire, stumbling, hesitation, popping, poor starting...

Auto Transport Service
Back