• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you change a clutch without resurfacing the flywheel?

chargervert

Local time
11:39 PM
Reaction score
I know it's a television show, but I was just watching All Girls Garage and they were replacing the hydraulic throw out bearing and clutch and pressure plate assembly on a modern 5.0 Crustang,and they installed the clutch and pressure plate assembly without turning the flywheel! If you are doing a television show, showing a clutch pressure plate and throw out bearing change, atleast turn the effing flywheel! She sprayed it with brake clean and whiped it with a rag! Why show people how to do the job incorrectly! Is it just me?

No reason to turn the flywheel unless its been gouged from steel on steel.

If it’s showing hot spots, I’d surface it.

Resurfacing only if needed. Most times we'd do a clutch job because the driver waited too long and the face was scored. But, if the face is clean, no need to turn it.

This is sort of like resurfacing rotors when changing brake pads. I rarely turn the rotors unless I went metal to metal or if I was getting brake-shake.

True, but if said rotor has hot spots, ya either turn them or get new.

Check it first with a dial indicator while still on the flywheel and with a straight edge to gage how flat it is. Then sand it with an orbital and 80 grit. If it checks out flat, was not chattering when removed and the light sanding removes any appearance of discoloration, dark spots and surface cracks - then I would consider using it without resurfacing.

I’m a machinist. Taking .005 off a clean flywheel will give a nice flat surface. But shops will charge you the same if they take off .05. It would have to have ridges my thumb nail would drag on to resurface.

Since you have access to it doing a clutch, hell yea. Better than dumping it all back out and having to do all over again because you wanted to save a couple of bucks. What's you time worth? Just my thoughts.

Since you have access to it doing a clutch, hell yea. Better than dumping it all back out and having to do all over again because you wanted to save a couple of bucks. What's you time worth? Just my thoughts.
This is what I thought. The car is a 5.0 Mustang GT,not going to be used gently. There was chatter marks and some discoloration. If I went through the trouble to tear it all down in a modern car,I would be having the flywheel resurfaced. When she sprayed it ,she said that cleaning it might give it some chance of survival,like she knew they were cutting corners on the job.

Last edited:
to answer the question, No
unless there was specific circumstances that wouldn't warrant it
otherwise like 'religious devotion'
I have it surfaced or changed if need be

Its a crap shoot, cut it, don't cut it. If it chatters when you put it back together then your fucked. THEN you also have two options, take it apart again or don't and live with the chatter. Don't ask me how I know this stuff....

I've made that mistake once, never again, it's not worth it, for me it's peace of mind knowing that while I'm putting all of it back together, it will work right.

Do it right Do it once. If you have the shop handy have it ground. (not turned)

Flywheel-Grinding-700x460.jpg

Flywheel26LB700.jpg

My opinion: If I’m in there that far, I replace every moving part (fork, bushings etc.) and resurface the flywheel. What are you saving by not doing? Risk of having to take it back apart does not equal the small savings in money and time by not doing it. Again my two cents

Auto Transport Service
Back