Would you change a clutch without resurfacing the flywheel?

chargervert

Local time
7:53 PM
Reaction score
I know it's a television show, but I was just watching All Girls Garage and they were replacing the hydraulic throw out bearing and clutch and pressure plate assembly on a modern 5.0 Crustang,and they installed the clutch and pressure plate assembly without turning the flywheel! If you are doing a television show, showing a clutch pressure plate and throw out bearing change, atleast turn the effing flywheel! She sprayed it with brake clean and whiped it with a rag! Why show people how to do the job incorrectly! Is it just me?

Stanton

Local time
8:53 PM
Reaction score
No reason to turn the flywheel unless its been gouged from steel on steel.

5.7 hemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
If it’s showing hot spots, I’d surface it.

WileERobby

Local time
8:53 PM
Reaction score
Resurfacing only if needed. Most times we'd do a clutch job because the driver waited too long and the face was scored. But, if the face is clean, no need to turn it.

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:53 PM
Reaction score
This is sort of like resurfacing rotors when changing brake pads. I rarely turn the rotors unless I went metal to metal or if I was getting brake-shake.

5.7 hemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
True, but if said rotor has hot spots, ya either turn them or get new.

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
Check it first with a dial indicator while still on the flywheel and with a straight edge to gage how flat it is. Then sand it with an orbital and 80 grit. If it checks out flat, was not chattering when removed and the light sanding removes any appearance of discoloration, dark spots and surface cracks - then I would consider using it without resurfacing.

440 PHIXX

The Island of Misfit Mopars
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
I’m a machinist. Taking .005 off a clean flywheel will give a nice flat surface. But shops will charge you the same if they take off .05. It would have to have ridges my thumb nail would drag on to resurface.

ckessel

Local time
Reaction score
Since you have access to it doing a clutch, hell yea. Better than dumping it all back out and having to do all over again because you wanted to save a couple of bucks. What's you time worth? Just my thoughts.

chargervert

Local time
Reaction score
Since you have access to it doing a clutch, hell yea. Better than dumping it all back out and having to do all over again because you wanted to save a couple of bucks. What's you time worth? Just my thoughts.
This is what I thought. The car is a 5.0 Mustang GT,not going to be used gently. There was chatter marks and some discoloration. If I went through the trouble to tear it all down in a modern car,I would be having the flywheel resurfaced. When she sprayed it ,she said that cleaning it might give it some chance of survival,like she knew they were cutting corners on the job.

Last edited:

Budnicks

You Can Just Thank Me Later
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
to answer the question, No
unless there was specific circumstances that wouldn't warrant it
otherwise like 'religious devotion'
I have it surfaced or changed if need be