• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you save this quarter panel or replace - 69 GTX - Opinions please1

1968rt

Local time
8:20 AM
Reaction score
Highly optioned 69 GTX. Im concerned with hurting the value. Trying to decide to replace the whole quarter panel or do the lowers and a few small patches. Window corners and trunk channel would also need work.
IMG_4774.JPG

Turn the car around and get the sun on it so we can see better, I can't even see what's bad in the front it's so dark? Some closer pics would help to. Good Luck

Cant spin it, not running. Front of quarter has about 6 inches of rust. I tried to lighten the picture.
IMG_4774.jpg

Just my two cents but: rust is like an iceberg, there’s always more that you can’t see. If you gotta do window corners and trunk channel there has to be more. I’d do the whole quarter rather then fix small areas then have more pop through later. My car was in even better shape then that, once we got into it we ended up doing quarters, back window and trunk floor. But mine isn’t a collector car, just a driver.

Original metal fits best. The amount of work can end up the same. The trick is either doing the work yourself, or finding a shop competent enough that you can afford. The repo quarters can take a lot of work to get right.

how is the wheel well and trunk floor? back window area good? That is going to be your answer. To me it looks like I would patch it.

Trunk floor is shot, wheels wheels are solid

It looks like it is rusting on the top of the wheel well? Less work and a better result hanging a new quarter I bet.

I had similar rust issues on my 69. And my upper area was nice just like in your picture. I bought both quarter skins thinking I would just replace them. But after inspection, I realized that I just needed to replace the lower front and back area and a couple of inches above the wheel well. I Decided to keep the marker light as the stamping on the replacement quarter was not as defined as the original. I replaced the trunk and trunk extensions as well.
CE3C37DD-00F7-4D45-883B-9C5C2ED9EA2F.jpeg

Patch unless the wheel tub is chewed up. The floor can be done by itself as long as the drop offs are good i'd patch it. Depends on yer skill level or ability to pay for the work to be done.

Either job can be done well with appropriate effort. The full quarter effort will be in alignment, the patch effort will be in getting a weld that doesn’t show on the inside.

My saying is: "Where there's rust, there's more. " Rule of thumb is, retain as much original metal as possible. If those areas can be sectioned, with the remainder of the part solid, that would be the preference. Before proceeding either way, know EXACTLY how much is good, and how much is not. That will give you your answer.

Either job can be done well with appropriate effort. The full quarter effort will be in alignment, the patch effort will be in getting a weld that doesn’t show on the inside.
How are your welding skills?

If the repair isn't tigged it isn't worth doing. Also you will have to open things up if you repair it so you can get in and clean/coat the inner structure surfaces. You have to tig all those lower repairs plus the upper ones, working around what's left to clean it all up.

How are your welding skills?
Pretty good. Butt welding is fun but getting gas coverage on the inside is a nuisance. Magnets holding a block up against it on the inside work pretty well if an extra gas bottle and regulator aren’t handy. Worst part is doing TIG (or any welding) on your back at the bottom of the quarter.

8F3DDDEB-D2E4-455B-A6D0-5981C4A9CA89.png
B8B8CC2B-3CA3-4631-9BAC-64DA62FEDFAA.png
4AFD8276-434F-4E56-831D-3A428D6CE1D9.png
Replace, then you have the opportunity to address what you can’t see. Save your #s that are stamped on the trunk gutter on the drivers side. Enjoy and take your time, it’s not that much trouble, new trunk Pans and 1/4 extensions. Piece of cake. Deck filler panel and corners at the bottom corners and you’re there, rust is gone.

Makes sense to do it all, this way I can address the hidden rust. Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back