• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wow half a million bucks ($500K) for a Max Wedge?

OG max wedge

Local time
8:47 PM
Reaction score
This is awesome, there is a guy on one of those auction sites the start with an “E” asking $500,000.00 for a 1963 Dodge Polara 500 Convertible that he claims is a factory aluminum nose race car, I of only 2 built and it’s a NHRA record holder to boot, don’t get me wrong here, it’s a awesome car and a true record holder but a half a million dollars? Come on be real, I had a fellow FBBO member look up his vin in Darrell’s new book and somehow it doesn’t show up. This guy also goes on to mention it was on display at the 1963 Detroit Auto Show so maybe it is one of those “special editions concept cars” we’ve all heard about? Granted it did set an NHRA record and has the paperwork to prove it but it was like 30 years after the car was built and it ran a full second faster the Color Me Gone, Maverick or any of the Ramcharger cars, this car is by no means stock, it looks like it’s had mini tubs installed, super wide slicks, Weld wheels, roll bar and a host of other aftermarket goodies! Am I missing something here??? I’m just saying! WOW THAT’S AWESOME! I hope it sells

Attachments

• DSC07578.jpg
    DSC07578.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 2,203
  • DSC07618.jpg
    DSC07618.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,603
It does have "Mopar Performance" and "Record Holder" painted on the side. lol

hmmmm nice car , I think with that type of money , I would buy alot of nice Road Runners and a few Superbirds to put in the collection ,just a dream:eusa_think: :headbang::headbang::headbang:

Waah! I think i am gonna put my rotten 1963 Fury 4-door on Ebag for $ 250.000,- !!!

Lets sit back and see what happens on this auction.
It is a rare car if it's authentic but $500K is a-lot of money.
$200K maybe if it's authentic etc.
Hell, 1962 Aluminum Superduty Cats' sell fro $200K+

wow maybe a should give mine a try in the auction block... heck i'd even let mine got for half that amount..

. 009.jpg 1. 005.jpg 101010.jpg

wow maybe a should give mine a try in the auction block... heck i'd even let mine got for half that amount..

Won't happen unless you repaint your wheels !!:upside down:

This is awesome, there is a guy on one of those auction sites the start with an “E” asking $500,000.00 for a 1963 Dodge Polara 500 Convertible that he claims is a factory aluminum nose race car, I of only 2 built and it’s a NHRA record holder to boot, don’t get me wrong here, it’s a awesome car and a true record holder but a half a million dollars? Come on be real, I had a fellow FBBO member look up his vin in Darrell’s new book and somehow it doesn’t show up. This guy also goes on to mention it was on display at the 1963 Detroit Auto Show so maybe it is one of those “special editions concept cars” we’ve all heard about? Granted it did set an NHRA record and has the paperwork to prove it but it was like 30 years after the car was built and it ran a full second faster the Color Me Gone, Maverick or any of the Ramcharger cars, this car is by no means stock, it looks like it’s had mini tubs installed, super wide slicks, Weld wheels, roll bar and a host of other aftermarket goodies! Am I missing something here??? I’m just saying! WOW THAT’S AWESOME! I hope it sells

Somehow I doubt it. I have a real authenticated 1963 Dodge Polara 500 Max Wedge. Darrell and I have talked about it and it is in his book as well as Galen Govier registry. No 63 Polara 500 Max Wedge was made with a lightweight front end. I would like to see the "proof" If it is not i Darrell's list it is bogus. He has the VIN for every max wedge made 62-64.

What auction site is it on. I don't find it on Ebay. What else starts with an E? There were 28 Polara 500 convertible max wedges built in 1963. I would like to see this one.

Somehow I doubt it. I have a real authenticated 1963 Dodge Polara 500 Max Wedge. Darrell and I have talked about it and it is in his book as well as Galen Govier registry. No 63 Polara 500 Max Wedge was made with a lightweight front end. I would like to see the "proof" If it is not i Darrell's list it is bogus. He has the VIN for every max wedge made 62-64.

I was thinkin the 63 was a little early for the aluminum front, myself. I don't know much about them....only what I have read. That's not much. I thought the aluminum front cars were the A990 designation. Am I mistaken? At any rate, I would like to learn more.

I was thinkin the 63 was a little early for the aluminum front, myself. I don't know much about them....only what I have read. That's not much. I thought the aluminum front cars were the A990 designation. Am I mistaken? At any rate, I would like to learn more.

Aluminum fronts were available on all other 63 models such as 330 and 440 models, Max wedge cars, but could not be had on any Polara 500. The A990 was a race Hemi with aluminum heads that came out in 1965 according to Greg Lane. Totally different engine than the Max Wedge.

Aluminum fronts were available on all other 63 models such as 330 and 440 models, Max wedge cars, but could not be had on any Polara 500. The A990 was a race Hemi with aluminum heads that came out in 1965 according to Greg Lane. Totally different engine than the Max Wedge.

Cool, thanks for clarifying. I wasn't aware the aluminum fronts were available that early. What was the reasoning that the Polara 500 didn't get it?

Cool, thanks for clarifying. I wasn't aware the aluminum fronts were available that early. What was the reasoning that the Polara 500 didn't get it?

My guess is because the Polara 500 was the top of the line model. Most racers bought the stripped down taxi cab versions which were lighter, yet if memory serves me, 124 1963 Polara 500 max wedges were built.

OK;I've got an apology of sorts to make. Since I've got a copy of the Davis SN book,I was asked to check a number. Well,I effed up. I was looking in the '64 Dodge listings,and didn't check the '63 stuff. It just so happens that this car,#6432 171151,is listed as an LC/steel clip/TF trans car. Again,my apologies;I presumed that the car in question-as posed to me-was a '64. My bad.

So,this car seems to be a legit MW car. A Polara 500 convertible MW car;that's where the # comes up in the book's listings.

OK;I've got an apology of sorts to make. Since I've got a copy of the Davis SN book,I was asked to check a number. Well,I effed up. I was looking in the '64 Dodge listings,and didn't check the '63 stuff. It just so happens that this car,#6432 171151,is listed as an LC/steel clip/TF trans car. Again,my apologies;I presumed that the car in question-as posed to me-was a '64. My bad.

So,this car seems to be a legit MW car. A Polara 500 convertible MW car;that's where the # comes up in the book's listings.

You are correct. Now I would like to see photos, casting numbers and date codes. Additionally does the fender tag match the hidden numbers. Let's see the car in some real detail. That elapsed time and speed are not stock max wedge and certainly not a convertible. Where is this car listed for sale?

It is my understanding that the light weight package (aluminum front end parts) was only available on the sedans.

The ad also say that bag of WEED he is smoking when he listed this car is being included for FREE...I do not think even from 2000 to 2005 when it seemed money was not an issue for collectors this seller could get $500,000 for this car...Ebag is not the place you sell a Half Million Dollar Car..That is what Barrett-Jackson is about..Over priced cars..I do not think this is a car to drive it is a car that some one is going buy and Park...My .02 cents

Auto Transport Service
Back