• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wrong rocker molding clips from the factory?

eagleone1983

Local time
11:55 PM
Reaction score
Would this have been a possibility? My car had never been restored nor did it seem there was any tampering with the rocker but it seems that there were '69 Charger rocker molding clips on the car and not the Roadrunner/Satty clips that had the holds on each side of the center of the clip.

I only ask because I didn't have enough of my build sheet left in the car to know for sure but I ended up keeping the holes for the rocker moldings because it seemed to me they were not put there by anyone but ma mopar. However the wrong clips are definitely installed.

Yes, Chrysler quality control was very poor, My 69 Charger when I took it apart I found many nuts that were not the same on the parts driver vs. passenger side. My grandfather owned a Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth dealership from 67 to 91 and he has told me about some of the ridiculous things that cars were missing, were not painted on rockers etc. etc. so yes they could have used other clips.

It makes me wonder if one clip will work on the other why go through the expense of producing two different clips. Ford was notorious for this kind of money saving procedure.

some trim was wider and it could have been they ran out of one style of trim clip and just used others off another trim line available or it could have been?
I really would not worry about it, It does make you wonder but as I said before Chrysler had horrendous quality control you should have seen my firewall, It was never restored still factory red and it looked like someone splattered a full tube of seam sealer on it never seen another Mopar like it. I was told once by one of my mentors (he was a Chrysler service manager) He told me they had a new car come in off the truck and it kept making a noise, rattling noise, he said he had his mechanics look at it and nobody could find it, they finally suspected the noise was coming from the transmission and he said they tore it apart and there was a big nut inside the tailshaft area that someone at the factory had put there that said "Haha found me" typical for the time, I have heard of Hemi cars that people have taken apart and someone at the factory wrote with paint pen "Have fun" under the trunk. Who knows what else!

Every manufacturer back in the day had weird stuff going out the door. Any "original" old Corvette never has good gaps between the body panels, a lot of '69(maybe 70) Boss 302's had "BOSS 302" written underneath body panels with seam sealer, my grandfather had taken a door panel off of his Buick and found sanding disks from the factory, on any wing car the nose and wing dont match the body since they were painted at different places/times... and the list will go on...

Auto Transport Service
Back