• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wrong tank straps?

inverse1216

Local time
4:58 PM
Reaction score
now I am no mopar guru but i have a 69 plymouth satellite and I ordered a pair of stainless tank straps from classic industries and when I went to install the new tank I noticed the straps are not correct. it appears that the new straps have been stamped incorrectly. specifically the end with the 90 degree bend that is facing the opposite direction of the oem part. am I correct?

i contacted classic industries and sent them photos only to be told thats all they offer and have not had any issues with this part in the past. they clearly did not understand that it appears the part has been manufactured incorrectly.

thanks for any input.

20190825_160324.jpg 20190825_160337.jpg 20190825_160331.jpg

That sucks. I've never bought anything from Classic, but I've seen a lot of post of their incorrect parts they sell. Most times they seem to make things right. What I don't understand is instead of trying to save a buck why not go to a all Mopar specific company that knows what they're selling and whether the part is correct or not. It seems over and over Classic offers either the lowest quality made or the incorrect part. A lot of times you can buy from the company that produces the part. I'm sure Classic will make it right with you.

The tank strap obviously did NOT receive the correct bends....It is perfectly straight, lol....Anyone looking at your photo can see that a mile away.....

Yet your response from classic was, "we never had a problem with them'...."we dont understand how it was manufactured that way"........

Thats great quality control there.......For both companies......

As Tak mentioned above there are far better vendors out there. That will not only provide you a superior part. They won't rape you on shipping charges......

I purchased a single strap for my 67 Coronet.

It was incorrectly manufactured the same way.

I guess they can't read the specs at the manufacturing plant in Elbonia. :wtf:

That sucks. I've never bought anything from Classic, but I've seen a lot of post of their incorrect parts they sell. Most times they seem to make things right. What I don't understand is instead of trying to save a buck why not go to a all Mopar specific company that knows what they're selling and whether the part is correct or not. It seems over and over Classic offers either the lowest quality made or the incorrect part. A lot of times you can buy from the company that produces the part. I'm sure Classic will make it right with you.

The tank strap obviously did NOT receive the correct bends....It is perfectly straight, lol....Anyone looking at your photo can see that a mile away.....

Yet your response from classic was, "we never had a problem with them'...."we dont understand how it was manufactured that way"........

Thats great quality control there.......For both companies......

As Tak mentioned above there are far better vendors out there. That will not only provide you a superior part. They won't rape you on shipping charges......

who do you guys recommend? im new to the mopar world so im still finding out who the key players are. I just received my year one catalog in the mail so I will try them since all classic industries offered was a refund instead of looking into the fact that it was manufactured incorrectly.

who do you guys recommend? im new to the mopar world so im still finding out who the key players are. I just received my year one catalog in the mail so I will try them since all classic industries offered was a refund instead of looking into the fact that it was manufactured incorrectly.
Richard.... @69bfan he is a member here and available via PM, try Richard first and if he doesnt have it try below...

https://www.megapartsusa.com
Jaime is the owner and a great guy to deal with....

My straps were bent and welded backwards.. had to cut the reinforcements weld, then bend the other way and re-weld.

beerestoration2018 134.JPG beerestoration2018 135.JPG beerestoration2018 136.JPG beerestoration2018 137.JPG beerestoration2018 138.JPG beerestoration2018 139.JPG beerestoration2018 140.JPG beerestoration2018 141.JPG beerestoration2018 154.JPG beerestoration2018 249.JPG

Inverse1216, I think that Classic sent you a 66-67 B-Body fuel tank strap by mistake. Possibly it was incorrectly labeled or placed in the wrong area or got put into the wrong order. As your doing, attempt to see if they can resolve your issue.

Classic and these large mail order businesses deal with a massive number of orders on a daily basis. I know that the business in which I am associated with does a large amount of volume with them and we are appreciative of the of orders.

On the other hand, there is a wide assortment of vendors out there which can give you a much more personal attention and for the most part provide the parts at a competitive price with much more product knowledge. Most of these shops are managed by only a handful of employees, so they do not have 24 hour call centers taking orders seven days a week, but most of them are specialized in distinct product areas and that knowledge is invaluable.

As Justin stated, ask your questions here and seek out the answers and the restoration process will be much more enjoyable and will probably save you some dollars as well.

the problem with a vendor that doesn't have a tech / or a person that is a problem solver and when you call and they claim they dont know THAT IS DUMB THAT IS NOT SERVICE AND I WON'T SPEND A ANOTHER DIME WITH YOU . I WILL FIND A DIFFERENT SUPPLER. i would rather rebuild / repair an old part first.

the problem with a vendor that doesn't have a tech / or a person that is a problem solver and when you call and they claim they dont know THAT IS DUMB THAT IS NOT SERVICE AND I WON'T SPEND A ANOTHER DIME WITH YOU . I WILL FIND A DIFFERENT SUPPLER. i would rather rebuild / repair an old part first.
That is it exactly.....

This is the same vendor that was so I to the front speaker thread to work with the manufacturer to get the part right.

Of course when called out publicly and the OP sent several emails and zero return feedback....until the thread was posted....then they back tracked and meandered around the email situation....

Funny, how they were so into that thread to make it right but the OP communication here with them on this issue showed no interest in figuring out the manufacturer issue......

They say one thing and come here and say another.....

Honesty in customer service is key.....

What is really amazing is that most of the larger vendors will never inform the manufacture of the issues. From being involved in supplying various vendors over 600 different parts, we usually hear of issues directly from the customer via a direct message or from a forum such as this.

On a few occasions, the vendor may provide the customer our number directly, but very seldom does this happen. Just like with any product, the manufacture or wholesaler may change vendors or a process in the manufacturing. Issues do come up, but the first step is contacting the original seller and hopefully resolve the issue.

From the tech line perspective, it is very difficult to find the knowledge now days to cover all of the different scenarios. For whatever the reason, Mother Mopar was no where as consistent as Ford or GM in the manufacturing process, so different variations are highly likely even from the same model year and body style.

Thankfully, forums as this offers a valid tool in the restoration process. Like anything, you just have to do your homework and search out the best scenario for your needs.

I admire your efforts and I considered the same but principle took priority. I paid for a product that was incorrect and the effort needs to be made by the vendor to correct it. if the money was refunded and I kept the product I would do the same as you did.

the lack of knowledgeable employees at classic was quite a surprise I expected a little more attention to the fact that the part is incorrect rather then them just blowing it off and their solution was just to return it.

Maybe they figure it's a bend-to-fit strap....just hook it on and start cranking on the j-bolts and it will 'bend' and conform to the tank as you tighten it
:lol:

-Did you check the 'parting out' sections here and on the sister sites? A used set that could easily be cleaned up would save money and headaches.. also consider starting a thread in the WTB section.

Auto Transport Service
Back