• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB OEM 3.54 ring and pinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallhair

Rufus "Mod-hair" Firefly
Staff member
Local time
1:52 PM
Reaction score
Contact seller
Hi folks

I'm looking to buy an original MOPAR 3.54 ring a pinion gear set in usable condition i.e. one that will not "whine and / or dine on my differential" :)

educated folks feel free to chime in on pitfalls of doing this or things to look out for. I"m looking to replace an aftermarket replacement higher numerical ratio gear set with an OEM one.

I would also like to know how to identify an original set versus one from Richmond or the other aftermarket sets. part numbers, markings, and pics will be appreciated.

PM for my email or phone number any help appreciated or just reply to this post

Richmond are marked with their symbol and OEM are too with a part # etc. I doubt you're going to find a new one and why would you want to chance a used one? Getting it set up like it was before is iffy and so, it might whine and it might not....but, you might find a complete 3rd member...

Richmond are marked with their symbol and OEM are too with a part # etc. I doubt you're going to find a new one and why would you want to chance a used one? Getting it set up like it was before is iffy and so, it might whine and it might not....but, you might find a complete 3rd member...

my rationale for the question was threefold:

i'm asking how to identify an OEM set and was hoping someone would post a part number ref chart that would help me identify the correct markings and part numbers because i've not been able to find one by searching thus far

i figured that there must have been a few sets taken out and kept by members that may be willing to part with them that were not taken out due to wear but due a desire to change to a higher numerical gear for racing or other reasons

i was told by randy's ring and pinion that new non-OEM gears (other than Yukon ... their brand) may whine

as i'm buying a rear end that has a higher numerical gear set and i would like to lower it to a 3.54 to run in a daily driver

- - - Updated - - -

3.54 as in a Dana 60?

yes

Generally, there's a part number that's 6 digits xxxxxx-3.54 then another series of numbers like 'MS 291' then a date '1 23 70' then another number which I think is the shift it was produced on. This is the way an 8 3/4 is. I don't have any stock 60's laying around to see if they are the same. Also, the pinion won't be marked for what the depth is supposed to be. Again, this is how an 8 3/4 is. So far, I've set up maybe 10 rears with Yukon gears and none have had a whine.

Generally, there's a part number that's 6 digits xxxxxx-3.54 then another series of numbers like 'MS 291' then a date '1 23 70' then another number which I think is the shift it was produced on. This is the way an 8 3/4 is. I don't have any stock 60's laying around to see if they are the same. Also, the pinion won't be marked for what the depth is supposed to be. Again, this is how an 8 3/4 is. So far, I've set up maybe 10 rears with Yukon gears and none have had a whine.

thanks cranky. appreciate the info especially on the pinion. i'm assuming the Yukon's won't whine, but they told me pretty much anything but theirs or the originals may whine due to less machining in manufacturing.

These days gears are coming from just about everywhere but the USA. The last set of Yukons I set up were made in Korea and I've heard more than a few times that one supplier or another saying that theirs won't whine but others 'might'......

These days gears are coming from just about everywhere but the USA. The last set of Yukons I set up were made in Korea and I've heard more than a few times that one supplier or another saying that theirs won't whine but others 'might'......

It was randy's ring and pinion I was talking to and they said that even their bargain priced, american standard i think, gears might whine as there is less machining in them to be price competitive with motive and richmond. they also said the only available gears that match OEM gears in the machining dept are their Yukon line.

Any experience out there with richmond, motive, etc brands and if they experienced this whining with them or not?

Can anyone comment on the more / less machining going into the popular brands?

appreciate the comments folks

Did you try Cass, Dr Diff? Never know what might be sitting on his shelf.

Thanks Mark! I'll give him a call .. just checked website with no 3.54 on ebay .. apparently that's how he sells? I'll give him a call later when the wif get's off the phone :).

update: just called Cass and he does sound like a good guy. Shootin him an email now for sourcing. Thanks again Mark!

Last edited:
I sent you a pm with some info on a set of factory gears.
New gears are not a guarantee as I have a friend that bought a complete new 8 3/4 with 3.55 that sounded like a dump truck. It was supposed to have been set up good , just a bad cut on the gears. I want to say they were nitro gears.
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back