• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTF . did my starter just crap out?

Canadian1968

Local time
8:16 PM
Reaction score
Just backed the car out of the garage to do a little clean up first time this spring. Took if for a spin around the block and parked back in the garage. Noticed that it didn't want to engage fully into park. I had just replaced 2 washers on the rod that connects the bottom of the shifter to the transmission. No big deal I though I just didn't get it set right . Well I turned off the car and went to check the situation of a fuel leak I had been working on.

Hopped back in the car and turn the ket and heard 1 small click. WTF. I had this problem once last year and it was simply my ground on my battery ( have a quick disconnect ). Double checked it ... all good I got a about 2 more clicks then nothing at all. Did my starter kick the can ? Or could it possibly be my park neutral switch. ?

Could be but more likely is corrosion on all of the terminal ends (battery, starter and relay). Clean them all and check again.

have someone turn the key while you tap the starter with a hammer. If it starts then I would replace it.

Just backed the car out of the garage to do a little clean up first time this spring. Took if for a spin around the block and parked back in the garage. Noticed that it didn't want to engage fully into park. I had just replaced 2 washers on the rod that connects the bottom of the shifter to the transmission. No big deal I though I just didn't get it set right . Well I turned off the car and went to check the situation of a fuel leak I had been working on.

Hopped back in the car and turn the ket and heard 1 small click. WTF. I had this problem once last year and it was simply my ground on my battery ( have a quick disconnect ). Double checked it ... all good I got a about 2 more clicks then nothing at all. Did my starter kick the can ? Or could it possibly be my park neutral switch. ?
Easy to rule out the neutral safety switch/shifter adjustment, ground the terminal on the start relay that the NSS wire lands on temporarily and see if it starts.

Hold the key in the crank position while moving the shifter... Starter should work in neutral and park... Sounds like it's not fully engaging park so the starter won't work...

A couple mins messing around, was able to.get it to start in neutral . My shifter linkage must just be off a tiny bit. Easy fix, few ! Was not looking forward to doing a starter at to begin the season !

Auto Transport Service
Back