• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

XHD Springs on 79 Magnum

m79ded

Local time
10:49 AM
Reaction score
I am thinking about putting a set of Mopar Perf XHD leaf springs that I have from a previous project. They are for 71 and up B-Body springs. I do realize that the rubber iso stuff will be gone and I need to use a huge washer to take up the space on the seat pad, because the hone is huge compared to the regular cars. Has anyone done this??
Do I need to get hangers from a 71 B-Body or Ebody or even my late b body hangers will do?
Another Question is the pinion angle will it be altered by removing the ISO stuff?

I can speak from experience on the same car I once had SS leafs and a Dana 60 from a 71 GTX and everything bolted right up, but going back to the 9.25 diff I'm not 100% sure on the effect of pinion angle

Any info would be appreciated.

It is the same basic thing that the Aspen/Volare guys do. I did this on a 79 Volare. You will need A or B body (pre 73) lower shock plates and you will need different U-bolts. I purchased a 'bushing' to take up the difference in the axle pad (centering bolt hole is huge compared to the earlier cars). This is a very good change as the iso-clamp setup is awful. I made the same change in a 74 Road Runner, but I also changed the axle out for a 68 B body 8 3/4 so I did not need to worry about the huge difference in the centering bolt hole on the spring pad.

It is the same basic thing that the Aspen/Volare guys do. I did this on a 79 Volare. You will need A or B body (pre 73) lower shock plates and you will need different U-bolts. I purchased a 'bushing' to take up the difference in the axle pad (centering bolt hole is huge compared to the earlier cars). This is a very good change as the iso-clamp setup is awful. I made the same change in a 74 Road Runner, but I also changed the axle out for a 68 B body 8 3/4 so I did not need to worry about the huge difference in the centering bolt hole on the spring pad.

I got the bushing from Firm feel along with bolts and I did a trial fit on the doff and it seems it's about 20 thou smaller, does that really matter or should I weld it so it doesn't move??

Also did you use the same Hangers and shackles from the iso setup ?

Since I'm swaping out the setup should I change over to Polyuarathane bushings or leave the stock rubber ones?

thnx

Auto Transport Service
Back