• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

XHD vs Super stock springs for wagon

BattleWagon

Local time
6:48 AM
Reaction score
I have a 73 Satellite wagon. The rear springs are toast! The drivers side is visibly sagged upwards on the front section.
I've called a few places and no-one wants to sell me wagon springs, stating they are something special.

MP XHD: Looking at these through Summit. However after a quick search I have read a lot of reviews about people complaining they sag really bad over the course of a year. Is this still a issue? Seems the Mexican springs have this problem.

MP Super Stock: Seems they make some cars ride like a empty garbage truck, some claim its OK. However I'm thinking with a the extra weight over the rear being a wagon perhaps 2x right side 3800# springs might work nicely, and with the required front hanger using the upper bolt hole will keep the car from looking like a jacked up 4x4.

Any thoughts on this?

20151013_165752.jpg

Nada?

Ah well. Guess I'll try the Super Stock springs. LOL

I'll report back.

Have any other springs laying around that you can use parts of? A shortened main leaf can sometimes do wonders for sagging springs......

I spoke to the lady there originally, and she was the one who told me they didn't have anything available. I might try again and tell her I have a 69 Charger, instead of a 73 wagon. From what I have read the place has rave reviews. :)

Call these folks, made in USA to stock specs:
http://www.springsnthings.com/

Or call some local diesel truck shops, there are bound to be places that can do custom springs.

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately I do not at the moment. I have considered hitting the yards with a measuring tape to see if I can "build" something, as I am interested in using a factory style overload. I've done that a few times with my old W and D series Dodge/Plymouth trucks. ;-)

Have any other springs laying around that you can use parts of? A shortened main leaf can sometimes do wonders for sagging springs......

After another day of reading and research I'm thinking about staying away from the SS springs.. For a fun daily and light towing machine the SS springs apparently do not like lateral loads due to the arch which makes sense.

MP Super Stock: Seems they make some cars ride like a empty garbage truck, some claim its OK.

I've seen that allegation made by a lot of other people, normally not from personal experience but they're just repeating what someone else heard or read on the internet.

I've seen that allegation made by a lot of other people, normally not from personal experience but they're just repeating what someone else heard or read on the internet.

Just the man I would like to speak to! I read through your install post on your 74.
Which SS springs did you use?
How do you like the ride?
Which shocks do you have them paired to?

I'm going to do a full rebuild on the front end first before I tackle the rear so I still have time to mull over my decision. ;-)

There are SS springs on my old wagon. Them seem to work and ride fine. Granted, they are older pieces.

Auto Transport Service
Back