• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yellow zinc chromate on LCAs?

xs-ivv

Local time
6:50 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone had suspension components plated with yellow zinc chromate? I want that cosmoline look but I want the lcas to be coated. Would the yellow zinc crack with flexing?

I have seen a guy do that years ago....As far as I know it did not crack etc....

Here is the pic....

lowerarm2-1.jpg

Thanks for the pic. I had pictured something more shiny....any other ideas for that look?

There's always Cosmoline, (LOL) but I hear it's not cheap. Think there's threads on here about it... I thought it was durable?

I have never used cosmoline but my understanding is that it is like a wax coating. Probably wouldn't last very long on a car thats going to be driven. I want something durable. I might just keep it simple and get it powder coated.

I have never used cosmoline but my understanding is that it is like a wax coating. Probably wouldn't last very long on a car thats going to be driven. I want something durable. I might just keep it simple and get it powder coated.
That’s what I was going to suggest, why not just powder coat it?

If the car experiences the elements aka water than NO it will not last.....If driving in normal conditions than YES it will last forever.....

I do not like powdercoat just for the mere fact you cannot touch it up correctly. So at this stage I would use paint....

Also keep in mind to plate a part like that correctly is not easy to get the chemical in the hard to see areas. This can lead to rusting. You would have to use a very good plater and it would cost a fair amount to plate these.....

If the car experiences the elements aka water than NO it will not last.....If driving in normal conditions than YES it will last forever.....

I do not like powdercoat just for the mere fact you cannot touch it up correctly. So at this stage I would use paint....

Also keep in mind to plate a part like that correctly is not easy to get the chemical in the hard to see areas. This can lead to rusting. You would have to use a very good plater and it would cost a fair amount to plate these.....
may i ask where do you get cosmoline? i will be replacing my front suspension and rebuilding parts this summer.

may i ask where do you get cosmoline? i will be replacing my front suspension and rebuilding parts this summer.
Hey Johnny

You will be shocked.....Eastwood...in the spray can it is spot on to the factory color and texture......Just know once you use it clean the tip etc but long storage the can doesnt last.....

You can buy from Cosmoline direct but fyi its the same sh## in eastwoods can and cheaper...

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-heavy-duty-anti-rust-in-amber.html

Justin

Hey Johnny

You will be shocked.....Eastwood...in the spray can it is spot on to the factory color and texture......Just know once you use it clean the tip etc but long storage the can doesnt last.....

You can buy from Cosmoline direct but fyi its the same sh## in eastwoods can and cheaper...

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-heavy-duty-anti-rust-in-amber.html

Justin
hi justin,thank you very much.do you recall how much you paid for your airgrabber restoration i need to get my done or give me the name of company.thanks

hi justin,thank you very much.do you recall how much you paid for your airgrabber restoration i need to get my done or give me the name of company.thanks
I will PM you that information....Don was one of the best restoration guys I have ever dealt with over 20 plus years restoring cars btw....

Here are some Cosmoline pics using Eastwoods product. This is on my current restoration the GTX...The ends are bare steel...

DSC03416.JPG
IMG_1671.JPG
IMG_1672.JPG
IMG_1674.JPG

In my experience cosmoline came out of the can almost black & everyone painted their chrome bumpers with it in the winter. My one uncle used to thin it w/gas & he got that goldish color, but the salt flying up would take a lot of it off by the time spring came. If you put it on ‘straight’ it was a bear to get off(gas,kero,diesel). We bought all of ours from a fuel oil distributor that had the license covering about 5 Ohio counties for its manufacture&sales.

In my experience cosmoline came out of the can almost black & everyone painted their chrome bumpers with it in the winter. My one uncle used to thin it w/gas & he got that goldish color, but the salt flying up would take a lot of it off by the time spring came. If you put it on ‘straight’ it was a bear to get off(gas,kero,diesel). We bought all of ours from a fuel oil distributor that had the license covering about 5 Ohio counties for its manufacture&sales.
You can buy black or yellow....the factory only used yellow...

You can buy black or yellow....the factory only used yellow...
Not arguing, just curious. Maybe a different formulation for yellow color? My 1st experience with it was military and just never saw the yellow. Wish that old “oil guy” was still alive.

Not arguing, just curious. Maybe a different formulation for yellow color? My 1st experience with it was military and just never saw the yellow. Wish that old “oil guy” was still alive.
It has been proven...with facts and documents the cosmoline used by Chrysler was yellow/gold....This was debated and debunked many many years ago....

Auto Transport Service
Back