• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yes a Camaro... Skill? Luck? Both!! Great Save!!

Luck, 100%. Although he could have made it worse if he had turned the wheels before landing or not had control WHEN it landed...

I have to say though that if I had been in the other lane I would have hit the binders as well. No fun to have the other car land on you and take yours out too.

I think popping his chute just as It started to come up the second time likely helped it come down straight. and sooner.

**** his suit a day he will remember

Hold on tight, pull the chute and let it do the work. Just saying from the couch, but it wasn't his day and luck was on his side.

The chute saved him by giving enough drag to keep the backend from coming around. Luckiest day of his life. Could never be replicated again. 1 in a million. There is a God. Same with Garlits. They both should have went to church and thanked God.

What a ride! Took a hard hit on the landing. Looks like no parts came off, but that still must've taken a big bite out of the race budget.

That was an 'Oh ****' moment
the chute definitely saved it, a lil' skill
to steer out of it when it landed too
quick on the chute save it thou...

"some" Good Luck for sure, it could've been really ugly

sometimes it's your day,
sometimes it's not

Good driving, it landed sideways and it was kept off the wall, hell of a driver to be able to stay calm and aware enough to do that. Good for him, or her.

but yes it wouldn’t happen that way again.

When you have to lift don’t hit the gas again, nothing good will come of it. The run is over so keep it safe. Even on a slower car.

this vid has been around for decades, the sound is off from the video, he got back in the gas when it was straight and totally lost it.

Last edited:
Good driving, it landed sideways and it was kept off the wall, hell of a driver to be able to stay calm and aware enough to do that. Good for him, or her.

When you have to lift don’t hit the gas again, nothing good will come of it. The run is over so keep it safe. Even on a slower car.

this vid has been around for decades, the sound is off from the video, he got back in the gas when it was straight and totally lost it.

Considering Baylands closed in 88 decades is right...

I would say skill. Or, experienced anyway. To throw the chute brought it down and kept it straight. Could have been much worse. I say excellent driving.....

I would say skill. Or, experienced anyway. To throw the chute brought it down and kept it straight. Could have been much worse. I say excellent driving.....

I still say both... Clearly he did everything right but without a little luck on his side he still coulda had a much worse outcome...

I was there that day...
that 55 Bel Air/210 rolled

IIRC 'Fat Jack' Bynum (infamous builder, parts & suspension guy)
Goodguys or Gary Meders Nostalgia race IIRC
wrecked his Red low 8 sec. - hi-7 second 46 Ford ProGas/Door slammer
in a similar fashion later that event week too

46 Ford Fat Jack Bynum Fremont Raceway.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back