• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yet another tire size question

Bigal75

Local time
12:59 AM
Reaction score
67 Dodge B body - People say a 275/50/15 is a tight fit - will the 275/60/15 fit being that it's a taller tire? I have a 8.5" wheel with 4.875" backspacing - would any of these tire siuzes mentioned fit?

Last edited:
My 67 Coronet had 285/60 15's on it when i got it. They would just brush the inner quarter in certain circumstances. I would say it would be tight but will fit.

Personally I won't be running anything over a 255 in the back just to make sure i have plenty of clearance.

Wheel size and backspacing will be the biggest issue. Unfortunately, most wheel companies cater to the Camaro crowd and available/affordable wheels don't have nearly enough backspacing to properly mount a 275 tire on a Mopar.

I can only report my personal experience. Hate to see someone spend a bunch of money only to have their combo not work out...

1966 Plymouth Belvedere II (the wheel house is nearly the same as your `67 Coronet, if not identical)
Rear Wheels: Cragar 08/61 SS Super Sport
Rim dimension: 15x7, 4.125" backspacing
Rear Tires: Cooper Cobras
Tire Size: P255/ 60 x15

I have a good inch between the inner wheel house and the inner sidewall and almost as much at the outer wheel lip, but only have about a half inch up inside the outer wheel house and the tire. Feel up inside there (about 2 inches up inside) and you will notice it 'steps in' a good bit. This is where a tire will rub 1st, when the suspension cycles. On a larger diameter tire, you may also get rubbing at the front of the wheel well.
I am using air shocks with approx. 50psi to get the upper edge of the rim to just peak out of the wheel opening. Even with this little bit of lift, I have evidence of faint scrub marks on the sidewall. I believe this is the result of 'side load' when on a curve or cornering…even at legal, safe speeds.

My opinion? While you may get that combo on the car, I think you will scrape up the outer tire wall once you start driving.

Also my opinion...Unless someone has had personal experience with running the tire & rim dimensions you are asking about on their `66 or `67 B Body (pretty sure they have less space than the `68s & up), I would take responses as opinions only…including mine.

OK is the issue the rim size and backspacing?

Its mostly actual wheel well volume. What Dako is saying is that there just isn't enough room up in the well for the tire even though its not rubbing at the wheel well lip or inner lip. So its overall tire tread width vs well clearance.

I will most likely end up running a 235 to prevent any potential scrubbing issues

I just went through the same tyre problem, I ended up using a 255 60 15 MT on 8inch Rallye wheel, but I had to increase the backspace by 1/2 inch to make them even spacing under the guards. I couldn't increase it more otherwise the tyre will rub the springs. with the 255 I have about 3/4 inch gap on either side of the tyre. Not idea gap but the tyres look great, and my car is pretty low so maybe the 275 will fit if the car is raised higher. IMG_0471.jpg

i just took a couple of quick pics, look like there's at least an inch space to the leaf springs. i'll have to get a better look tomorrow during the day.

Back facing forward.jpg Front facing back.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back