• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yoke Length Question

slepr1

Local time
10:02 PM
Reaction score
I just received my new 3" Strange driveshaft with their 727 trans yoke, universals, complete and balanced. I noticed that the Strange trans yoke is 1.5" shorter than my Neapco one. The Neapco length is 7.560" and Strange is 6.062".

I looked up other 727 trans yokes at Summit and they were all different lengths but mostly within the 6" ranges. I'll be calling Strange on Monday unless any info comes my way reassuring me the 1.5" short will work.

Neapco # N72931932X
Strange # U1655

FYI, I have had numerous OEM 727 yokes. They vary a lot. I have an OEM that measures 8" end to center of U joint. Other OEM are shorter. My Mancini forged is 6 3/4 end to center of U joint. Seems to me if you get 2 1/2" of spline engagement or more, you're good. The tailshaft bushing is 2 1/2" long. Anything longer doesn't do any good.

Some slip yokes have a "dead zone", an area in front of the splines that is smooth, this design is intended for use with internal seals. Yokes without the dead zone are shorter but the actual spline engagement is the same.

Slip Yokes 002.jpg Output Shaft Seal.jpg

Some slip yokes have a "dead zone", an area in front of the splines that is smooth, this design is intended for use with internal seals. Yokes without the dead zone are shorter but the actual spline engagement is the same.

View attachment 749508 View attachment 749513
Sure would like to know what the shaft on the right (circled) is out of. Never seen one like that. Also my longer yokes were from '70 and earlier shafts. Again the spline position looks to be the same.

The output shaft seal was a '65 only thing but the later slip yokes retained the "dead zone".

Auto Transport Service
Back