• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You know we don't really say Y'all.

SteveSS

Local time
5:23 PM
Reaction score
It's a lot more like Yeea cut short with just a little pinch of an L sound at the end if there's room and time enough in the sentence. The accent is on the Ye. However, if you were to say pinch, that word would have two syllables. PEE-INCH.

I lived in Independence, Kansas. It was pronounced Inapenence. Short words like Trent and flash are hard for me to say with one syllable.

We do say Coke for a carbonated soft drink. But that's because everyone drinks Coke here. 'Ceptin that damn Taco Bell where you can only get Pepsi. I still order Coke they just give me Pepsi.

I notice with folks I know I say a'bye when I end a phone conversation. It means Alright then I'll talk to you later, Goodbye.

An English major born and raised in northwest Illinois and now transplanted to Tennessee almost 13 years ago, my complete sentences are apparently a dead giveaway to the locals that I'm a Yankee no matter how long I live here.

I still get "Ya ain't from roun' heah er ye?"

But I still say ya'll anyhow.

An English major born and raised in northwest Illinois and now transplanted to Tennessee almost 13 years ago, my complete sentences are apparently a dead giveaway to the locals that I'm a Yankee no matter how long I live here.

I still get "Ya ain't from roun' heah er ye?"

But I still say ya'll anyhow.

NW IL???? Rockford? Galena?

NW IL???? Rockford? Galena?

I could have sworn we talked about that years ago Mario. I was born and raised in Moline. I even went to John Deere Junior High School. I've been to Rockford several times and LOVE Galena, especially in the fall. I haven't been back since my grandma passed away in '81 though.

upload_2019-8-1_7-13-52.png

just more butchered 'Merican' language

different places have different accents & dialect
well no Duh !!!!

heavy on the R's up north & east, drawn out A's & L's in the south
we don't really have accents here either in the North or South in Calif.
unless you're some damn transplant from somewhere else

I could have sworn we talked about that years ago Mario. I was born and raised in Moline. I even went to John Deere Junior High School. I've been to Rockford several times and LOVE Galena, especially in the fall. I haven't been back since my grandma passed away in '81 though.
36ybss.jpg

I see the resemblance.... :)

people look funny at me every time I speak here in Vermont. Too long in SC. I too get the whole' Yeha aint from these parts are ya fella?

One of my nieces, born and grew up here in western Canada ended up moving to Adelaide, Australia. She wrote to tell me that people down there said she had a funny accent. Which, she said, "is just wrong!"

Now that is a pretty interesting story...…"EH"!

And NO.…..we don't use that all the time like in the movies, no riding polar bears, don't live in an igloo, don't eat whale fat and it is "about"....not "aboot"!!! (still have no clue where that came from????).

All kidding aside, it is amusing to hear the different dialects and words that certain provinces/states use, when you see the young ones growing up and they got the same accent as they are learning to speak....makes me smile!

Ids it too early to crack open a "Hey Y'All"????

My son lived in VA for a while (Moms family came from there-plantation owners in the 1600s) and they can't pronounce Rs. Sounds like they have a big wad of chew in their mouths. And they say "aboat" and "aboot".
Mom's family wound up in southern (southren) MO.
They say "youins". Hey, y'all, youins goin fishin?

Last edited:
My son lived in VA for a while (Moms family came from there-plantation owners in the 1600s) and they can't pronounce Rs. Sounds like they have a big was of chew in their mouths. And they say "aboat" and "aboot".
Mom's family wound up in southern (southern) MO.
They say "youins". Hey, y'all, youins goin fishin?
youins', usins, and themuns...

Being from Mass a chew setts....I learnt to talk Texan pretty fast and it's y'all. But I don't hear "I done done it mama" much anymore. My cousin was the first one I heard say that.

Mayonnaise...
Used in a sentence:
(Pronounced: Mannaise) a buncha cows in that field...
By the way, I say "yawl"

Auto Transport Service
Back