• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You local fellas come on down to the Cruise-In!

moparedtn

I got your Staff Member riiiight heeeere...
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:34 PM
Reaction score
Fred, Lisa and I are downtown right now, so come on down!

First time Fred and I have been out in a month - "new" old brakes feel just fine, too.
I don't think either of us are ready to pack it in just yet - but I'd be lying if I said recent events hadn't put some doubt into that.

It's just good to do this one more time.

I was wondering when you were taking a test drive. Glad to here it's working out. And there you go again with having to read between the lines. Fred kicked your *** again?

16567158315823057328458579023024.jpg

I was wondering when you were taking a test drive. Glad to here it's working out. And there you go again with having to read between the lines. Fred kicked your *** again?
Naw, Fred's fine.

If'n I was in your neckathawoods...me and the '68 would be there! Looks like a good time, enjoy Ed.

It looks like beautiful night to be out with your Hot Rod! :thumbsup:

Ed I hope Lisa and you have a great time. :thumbsup:

Awwww thanks y'all, very kind of you all!
Wife was a trooper 'cause it was roasty hot (95F), but when we got there and found a shady side street
to park in, I took her down to the fancy historic joint in town and we ate dinner in dang near freezing a/c
comfort:
DhtkptJXUAIUaOL.jpg

Hales Springs Inn/McKinney's Tavern is one of those couple hundred year old historic joints where
presidents have stayed and all that....
It's also home to a damn $15 hamburger. :)

Afterwards, we took Fred by the store to fetch some stuff on the way home and he put on a show
all the way down Main Street. He really draws attention between that color and the exhaust barking....
The local "no ethanol" gas station pumped $30 in him and the needle on the gas gauge came up off
E....a little bit.
Some nice folks came by the car to chat upon occasion, all being very complimentary and kind.
Folks are just folks here...

Anyways, the brake pedal is the highest and firmest I have ever witnessed in the dozen years I've now
taken care of Fred. The shoes aren't biting too hard yet (remember, I sanded them down to smooth again,
so they'll need to bed in with my raggedy old drums), there is no pulling going down the road and there's
just the slightest bit of a tug to the right (yes @khryslerkid - the right!) when I hit them hard.
That's ok, just means I adjusted that side a little tighter than the left.
It's barely noticeable, but I was in hyper-sensitive mode, the way you get after you've been working
on a car...
They'll settle down with use.
We managed to beat a heck of a pop-up thunderstorm home, too. Fred got a few drops on him is all.

All in all, a hot and sweaty, yet very relaxing and enjoyable, evening.
I think all three of us needed that. :thumbsup:

My friend Randy Ball, as always, makes Fred look pretty:
7-1-22 cruise-in 2.jpg

There was a decent turnout for the event despite the heat as always. Randy always
serves as the local "historian"/photographer for these events (he's working for the local newspaper
these days, as he winds down a long career at the local TRW plant) and you can check out all
the cars here:
Facebook

A few personal favorites:
291318992_525641272688736_1885749449041093617_n.jpg

'64 Tempest. Transplanted with a 455 and a 4 speed, this car is seriously well finished.

291536870_525639979355532_6142236629923805816_n.jpg

'68 Chevelle SS396 4 speed. Another well done, clean car that reminds me of my black
one back in high school.

(I like the clean ones sans "gingerbread" or being slammed. Can you tell?)

291713764_525639572688906_6819915651551919582_n.jpg

This is a seriously well done Fairlane XL with a 428CJ and 4 speed. Bet it's a fun ride.

291789588_525642089355321_49809461788224247_n.jpg

'57 DeSoto FireDome. Pic doesn't do it justice - it's a gorgeous car in person and I drool
over it every time it comes out for an event.

291795252_525640392688824_262986185373553667_n.jpg

This is apparently a real '70 Super Bee (VIN says so, anyways). Done up as the not-so-young
owner likes it (satin finish, lowered, other various "customizations") and a 383 car.
Not so much a personal favorite, included because well, this IS FBBO after all....

291794844_525638386022358_3576286788477695685_n.jpg

Our photographer Randy's own '67 Fury. Bone stock, less the lowering and wheels.
Randy has some others, including a fastback 'Cuda - but this car is special because his
parents bought it new and it's never left his family since.

Check out the rest of Randy's pics in the link above and see what a typical small NE Tennessee
town Cruise-In looks like. There's a surprising number of cool rides around here!

7-1-22 cruise-in 2.jpg

Who RED-X'd that beautiful car?!

I was planning to hit one of the local Cars / Coffee events this morning.

But we got some pretty good rains yesterday up thru the nite
and I just didnt feel like digging the car out on the chance it rains again this morning

Another locally sort of famous fella named Sheldon Livesay (leader of the largest Christian-based community
charity organization that does amazing amounts of things for needy folks, especially way out in the sticks) is
also quite the photographer. Here's his take on Fred:
7-1-22 cruise-in 3.jpg

(For some reason, those new sway bar mounts stick out to me....)

Well I can’t make it to your towns cruise in person, so I’ll submit a virtual entry (hopefully there’s no fee)
:lol:

Nice looking cars! And your GTX looks great, I’m a little partial to the 68s myself.

C9EB8AFF-621E-496F-B593-9E7B494CE1A2.jpeg

Well I can’t make it to your towns cruise in person, so I’ll submit a virtual entry (hopefully there’s no fee)
:lol:

Nice looking cars! And your GTX looks great, I’m a little partial to the 68s myself.

View attachment 1307122
Awww yeah, "Day 2" excellence! Keystones, slapper bars, excess decals - plus all the factory gingerbread! :thumbsup:

I was planning to hit one of the local Cars / Coffee events this morning.

But we got some pretty good rains yesterday up thru the nite
and I just didnt feel like digging the car out on the chance it rains again this morning
Screw it, that's a daily thing here in the SE this time of year - "chance of afternoon thunderstorms"...
Fred ain't gonna melt in the rain, wouldn't be the first time I toweled him off at a cruise-in.

Auto Transport Service
Back