• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your opinions please

Which steering wheel do you like

• Factory black plastic two spoke wheel with full horn ring

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • Factory wood rim wheel with 3 spokes

Votes: 63 43.8%
  • Aftermarket wood rim wheel with 3 spokes

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • other

Votes: 20 13.9%

• Total voters

thebankerstoy

Local time
3:14 PM
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do a complete interior restoration on my 1966 Coronet 500 2 door hardtop which will take it back to a much more factory stock looking appearance. It will look very similar to the one shown in picture #1 and 2 below. The only difference will be that I will be keeping my AutoMeter tach and gauges and my floor console mounted B&M Quicksilver shifter.

One item that I'm having a hard time making my mind up on, is what steering wheel to use. I have one of the black plastick steering wheels with the full horn ring that came on my car from the factory, (picture #3) but I was also looking at maybe trying to find one of the factory 1966-67 wooden rim steering wheels, (picture #4) or maybe an aftermarket wheel similar to picture #4? Any other suggestions?

Richard

1966 Coronet 500 - white interior #4.jpg

1966 Coronet 500 - white interior #5.jpg

1966 Coronet convertible - dash and steering wheel.jpg

1966 Coronet steering wheel - wood rim and padded center cap.jpg

15 inch wood rim steering wheel.jpg

Great question! Most of the time I prefer the factory wood wheel, but not on your car! I think the black looks way nicer!!
KID

I agree with the Kid, normally I like the wood but in yours Black.
but not the 2 spoke, the 3 spoke in pic #1
or the 3spoke in pic #3 with a black rim.

i picked the black plastic... i was surprised usually the stuff i pick is not in the majority..

If your interior color combo will be the same as pics 1 & 2, I would opt for the wheel in pic #1 (a black 3-spoke with a half horn ring).

I like the three spoke black as well.I really don't like the wooden 66-67 wheel.I don't know maybe it just looks to fake. Jim

I will admit that I always thought it was strange that the 66-67 B-Body cars had no other woodgrain trim in their interiors. except for the steering wheel itself.

So far, it looks like everyone is favoring either my factory black two spoke wheel, or maybe something like this one?

Thank you all for your ideas!

Richard

1966 Coronet 500 - white interior #2.jpg

I will admit that I always thought it was strange that the 66-67 B-Body cars had no other woodgrain trim in their interiors. except for the steering wheel itself.

So far, it looks like everyone is favoring either my factory black two spoke wheel, or maybe something like this one?

Thank you all for your ideas!

Richard

Definately the black plastic, it looks the most correct and the classiest by far!:imho:

Maybe that black plastic 3 spoke wheel with the partial horn ring might work, as I do have my AutoMeter tach and a couple of other gauges mounted on the steering column, (see picture below) so that partial horn ring might make my gauges easier to see. :dontknow: I also wonder how hard it would be to find one of those plastic three spoke wheels and horn rings in excellent condition?:dontknow:

Richard

1966 Coronet 500 dash & console shifter in 2005.jpg

1966 Coronet 500 dash, gauges, shifter and steering wheel.jpg

They repro the 3 spoke wheels now Richard, so you shouldn't have a problem finding a wheel. The ring might be another story,

One thing to watch out for, the 67 3 spoke wheel is a little wider in circumference at the base than a 66 2 spoke wheel. So when you mount the 67 wheel on your 66 column, it might overlap the metal on the column a little bit. If I can find the picture, I'll show the reverse, a 66 wheel on a 67 column and you'll be able to see the gap due to the narrower 66 wheel on the wider 67 column.

They repro the 3 spoke wheels now Richard, so you shouldn't have a problem finding a wheel. The ring might be another story,

One thing to watch out for, the 67 3 spoke wheel is a little wider in circumference at the base than a 66 2 spoke wheel. So when you mount the 67 wheel on your 66 column, it might overlap the metal on the column a little bit. If I can find the picture, I'll show the reverse, a 66 wheel on a 67 column and you'll be able to see the gap due to the narrower 66 wheel on the wider 67 column.

Would a 3-spoke with a half horn ring off of an A-body (67-68) work/be correct?

Would a 3-spoke with a half horn ring off of an A-body (67-68) work/be correct?

Well.. it'd never be correct. After all, using A parts on a B is well.. sacrilege :)

It actually might work, because I believe the A wheel is smaller than a B wheel. I had a 67 Dart at my house for awhile and it seemed like it was about the same diameter at the base as the 66 wheel is.

Well.. it'd never be correct. After all, using A parts on a B is well.. sacrilege :)

It actually might work, because I believe the A wheel is smaller than a B wheel. I had a 67 Dart at my house for awhile and it seemed like it was about the same diameter at the base as the 66 wheel is.

Yes, I know and we don't want to be sacriligous now do we? :yes: Was there a black 3-spoke with a half horn ring available for Richard's '66? I figure since this is one of those cases where there is aftermarket gauges and a shifter but the desire to have an OEM steering wheel is desired, why not find an OEM wheel that you really like (even if it didn't come with the car originally).

Richard, I am waiting to see what you decide. I wish there was an option in the voting for a black 3-spoke with a half horn ring. That's the one I liked for your car but clicked on the "Other" button. I am thinking that others may have liked that combo but clicked on the next closest thing which would be the 2-spoke with full horn ring. Again, can't wait to see which one you go with.

Hi Mike,

Are the new reproduction 3 spoke steering wheels that you are talking about being made and sold by Mopar Plus / PG Classics? They say that their steering wheels will fit 1967 through 1969 A, B and C-Body cars. The black version is part # 260-B69 and runs $199.00. They also make them in tan, part # 260-BR69, green, part #260-G69 and red, part # 260-R69. Those three colors run $235.00.

The two problems I see with buying that wheel, is that as far as I know, nobody is reproducing the correct 3 spoke horn rings for that wheel, and the other problem is as you mentioned, that the 67-69 steering wheels have a larger rear mounting surface diameter than the 66 cars have, so that would look rather odd you know? I know that you also told me one tine, that the opening in the 67 dashboard shell where the steering column passes through it, is wider than on the 66 models, so that would mean that all of the lower and side stainless trin on the dashboard is different also. It lookes like there are several minor changes from 1966, to 1967 Coronets as far as the dashboard shell, dashboard stainless trim, steering column, and steering wheel goes huh? Mother Mopar was famous for tweeking things just enough to make lots of parts non-interchangeable! :(

After all of the talk about the cool looking three spoke wheels, I went back and looked through my factory 1966 parts book and it looks like there were only two different steering wheels available on 66 Coronets and 66 Belvedere's and Satellite's. These wheels were also used on some of the 66 C-Body cars as well. As a modele code reminder, V = Valiant, L = Dart, W = Coronet, R= Satellite and Belvedere, D = Polara and Monaco and P = Fury I, II, III and Sport Fury. As you also know, the trim codes listed below can be found on your cars fender tag, or build sheet and the codes listed below are used in reference to 1966 model year cars.

Here's what I found reguarding the 3 spoke wood grain and the two spoke black plastic 1966 steering wheels. .

part #4016VTT, steering wheel, yellow tan, with three spokes, used with all 1966 interior trim codes, wood grain rim, optional on V, L, R and W models.

part #4004AX9, steering wheel, black, with two spokes, used with interior trim codes H1X, H4W, H4X, K1X, K1B, K1R, K1T, K2T, K4B, K4R, K4T, K8T, K8A, K9A, L1X, L4X, L5X, L4W, L5W, L8A, L9A, P1X, P4X, P4W, used on R, W, P, and D models.

So it looks like the wood grain wheel is interchangeable on the 66 A and B-Body cars and the black plastic, as well as many of the other two spoke wheels in other various colors which I haven't listed here, are interchangeable with the 66 B and C-Body cars.

The only listing for a three spoke wheel on 1966 B-Body cars is the wood grain version and all the rest are shown to use the two spoke wheel. The only listing for horn rings on the 66 Coronet's, is the "full" horn ring, while the Belvedere's and Satellite's show either a "full" or a "partial" horn ring option depending on the trim level of the car.

It may turn out after all, that I will either need to use my original two spoke wheel, or maybe try to find a 66 wood grain wheel that I can afford, or something aftermarket with an adapter to fit my 66's smaller steering column's mounting base. :dontknow:

Richard

1967-69 black three sopke steering wheel- by  Mopar Plus.gif

1967-69 A,B, C-Body 3 spoke steering wheel - green #2.jpg

1967-69 A, B, C-Body 3 spoke steering wheel - tan #2.jpg

1967-69 A,B, C-Body 3 spoke steering wheel - red.jpg

I went and dug out a old 67 wheel I have and after looking at it, you might be able to use a 67-up wheel. It looks like they used the chrome trim around the center to size the wheel to fit the column. It's a good 1/2 wider than the base circle of the wheel. So the chrome section might just ride around the outside of the 66 column. When I ran the 66 wheel on my 67 column, there was about that much of a gap around between the chrome ring and the column.

If you want Richard, I can send you the wheel and trim ring so you can try it out on the car. If it fits, then you know you can go searching for a 3 spoker and you owe me a Coke next time I'm in Phoenix. If it doesn't work, then you know you'll have to get a 66 wheel.

And yes, not only is the trim around the base of the column different on the dash, (it's wider and made of plastic) but also the dash itself is wider to accomodate the wider collapsible column. Also, the mounting is little different underneath, 67 uses 3 mounting points, 66 uses 2.

DCP_1527.jpg

DCP_1523.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back