• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your "perfect" classic car?

What is your "perfect" classic car?

• 100% original, take to shows and/or drive sparingly

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Modified super nice car, take to shows and/or drive sparingly

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • A (mostly) original driver car I truly use

Votes: 49 46.2%
  • A modified driver car I truly use

Votes: 27 25.5%
  • A drag race car I regularly race

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • A drag race inspired street car I seldom race at the track

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • A car that needs to be built/ restored (I prefer building them)

Votes: 7 6.6%

• Total voters

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:15 AM
Reaction score
The car hobby is pretty broad. Some love having and showing 100% original vehicles, some like driving them and adding modern suspensions, engines, etc., some like building race cars. The list goes on and on.

For me, I like old muscle cars that look reasonably near factory stock, but incorporate some modern improvement to make driving them more enjoyable.

What do you enjoy best in a classic car? What is your "perfect" classic car? Many of us would check off several choices, but if you had to choose one, what would it be?

I've tried to capture several choices, but I'm sure I've missed some! I'll add more as/if needed.

Only 2 of the boxes on you list that I would leave off (only because I haven't stayed up with it, and don't have the reflexes or coordination anymore), but I have cars that fit every category on the list.

I wish I would drive mine more. But I dont trust idiot drivers out there that cant see **** in front or behind. The squinty eyed little bastards

A car I can't drive is useless to me. Bragging rights mean nothing to me when it comes to cars. Knowing I can own or buy anything I want makes me just as happy. My car is a perfect fit for me, Looks good and I'm not afraid to use it to death...... I do admit, I hate to get caught in the rain though!! Lol.

I will always be a hotrodder at heart, loud and obnoxious attitude ( to a point ) with my cars. I like all of them regardless.
Its probably easier for me to tell you what I wont ever consider having is a car that Im constantly worried about someone scratching or that I may decrease the value of in some way by altering it. At that point to me it is not worth having. I can go to a museum to see those.

Im sure im in the minority here, and i do like all kinds of cars, and i think i have had a few of a lot of those categories, but i think my all-time favorite was a 95% drag car, so thats what i chose in the poll.
My dads vote would have been the polar opposite.

I like old muscle cars that look reasonably near factory stock, but incorporate some modern improvement to make driving them more enjoyable
"
Bragging rights mean nothing to me

" A modified driver car I truly use"

It's far from perfect, but it's what I always wanted.....

7-2.jpg

What do you enjoy best in a classic car? What is your "perfect" classic car? Many of us would check off several choices, but if you had to choose one, what would it be?

What I enjoy the most in a classic car is that I feel like i'm driving a 50 year old car with 500hp.

To elaborate, modern sports cars feel too... err, "planted" is a good word i guess. Modern suspensions, contoured seats, traction control, big brakes, etc. I get more of a rush driving a old car aggressively than I do driving a modern car aggressively. I like when my boat floats over bumps in the road instead of clenching my *** cheeks when i see a pot-hole at the last minute. If i want to roast my tires i put my foot to the floor, I don't have to deal with a modern suspension with a properly calculated anti-squat and traction control devices that truly don't ever turn off that allow the car to hook. In short what I enjoy most in my classic is that it is a classic. I get shitty gas mileage and look cool doing it, at least that's what i tell myself.

What I enjoy the most in a classic car is that I feel like i'm driving a 50 year old car with 500hp.

To elaborate, modern sports cars feel too... err, "planted" is a good word i guess. Modern suspensions, contoured seats, traction control, big brakes, etc. I get more of a rush driving a old car aggressively than I do driving a modern car aggressively. I like when my boat floats over bumps in the road instead of clenching my *** cheeks when i see a pot-hole at the last minute. If i want to roast my tires i put my foot to the floor, I don't have to deal with a modern suspension with a properly calculated anti-squat and traction control devices that truly don't ever turn off that allow the car to hook. In short what I enjoy most in my classic is that it is a classic. I get shitty gas mileage and look cool doing it, at least that's what i tell myself.

What the heck new car are you driving? I finally gave up my 5 speed 4cyl jap car for a 2018 Challenger R/T. It might have a lot of new amenities but it drives a lot like a muscle car just updated. I can scratch off at a light, beat the **** out of 90% of what's on the road and intimidate the heck out of most drivers without even trying. I love my original muscle cars but the Challenger goes a long way to making daily driving a blast!

They all sound really good to me.... Of course, any of you that have met me know I'd choose the race categories because I truly believe they were built to beat on, no BS. And that includes the lightly modified and the factory original ones too.

What the heck new car are you driving? I finally gave up my 5 speed 4cyl jap car for a 2018 Challenger R/T. It might have a lot of new amenities but it drives a lot like a muscle car just updated. I can scratch off at a light, beat the **** out of 90% of what's on the road and intimidate the heck out of most drivers without even trying. I love my original muscle cars but the Challenger goes a long way to making daily driving a blast!

I can agree with this 100% having owned a 2010 R/T myself. They feel similar to the old cars but with the but with the comfort of a new car. I almost bought a 2018 hellcat but went with a supercharged Mustang GT instead. I wanted the better handling and it was A LOT cheaper than the hell cat

I could have picked/checked several of them
on 1 car alone, that has morphed over the many years
I've done & had many of each catagory

mine, current car 68 RR
would be more of a 'drag car in search of a corner',
I do live in the sticks
lots of corners to carve up here
but still,
I like straight-line performance,
but it also needs to handle very well & corner flat,
but;
that hinders straight-line performance
it's a street beast, inspired by my time in drag-racing
Day 2 would cover it

Highly optioned original (meaning hemi r/t or gtx on b bodies) or pro touring both in nice shape.
I will really use any car i buy. I'm not buying a car just to collect & show off.

Only 2 of the boxes on you list that I would leave off (only because I haven't stayed up with it, and don't have the reflexes or coordination anymore), but I have cars that fit every category on the list.
Jerry, you're a stand alone guy with a stable of cars that you drive. Now finding time to drive them all could be a real job!! You don't need to brag, mom said proof is in the pudding, you got plenty of pudding!!!

Jerry, you're a stand alone guy with a stable of cars that you drive. Now finding time to drive them all could be a real job!! You don't need to brag, mom said proof is in the pudding, you got plenty of pudding!!!
Keeping everything running good is the real chore. This year it's been tires and batteries. When I try to thin the heard, nobody will steps up. Not bragging just facts. All in all when it quits being fun, I will quit.

I chose a modified car I can drive regularly. I had completely original and stock car and got bored of it quickly. I was a drag racer and I have this bad habit of constantly trying to make the car faster until it becomes un-streetable. I sold my last one for that reason, and bought a mostly stock 66 Charger. I said I wasn't going to mess with it but have already added larger wheels and changed the cam and rebuilt the top end of the engine.

Mustang GT instead.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

An R/T is all I need. A Hellcat would end up being another show car and I don't need another one of those! You can get a Scat Pack pretty reasonable and an R/T is even less. I bought used and saved a pile. I could have gotten a 6.4 for $32K but passed on that for the same reason as the Hellcat - need a driver, not a show car.

I'll agree with you, Mustangs are CHEAP! :D
Not fond of Henry Ford at all.

Auto Transport Service
Back