• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your thoughts on Ebay. Good, bad, or otherwise.

I've done a lot of "manual" sniping and it works pretty well.

Just bidding the amount you want to pay up front almost never works.

...and if you keep bidding, you just run up the price.

There's a lot of BIN and starting prices that are tripple or more the BIN or start price of the exact same item from another seller.

I always wonder who the hell buys the $700 small block performer intake when there are dozens of them listed brand new at $250.

i used to live on Ebay,bitd.
made a lot of loot selling and buying parts so forth.
shot right up to A+ and Then started selling cars,and whammo!
got screwed over Multiple times by sellers backing out,
ebay Taking Fees Immediately and then having to Argue with ebay to get my money back.
just wasnt worth the hassle,
it went from serious buyers to people with pipe dreams and itchy fingers.
ebays solution was to warn the bidders...thats it.
wow,that sure stops them.( insert sarcasm here )

i still buy all sorts of stuff off the bay,but selling?
nah...rather sell something cheaper here or on Cl.

I use Ebay often and really have few complaints. The trick is being vigilant in your research before clicking the buy button.

My biggest complaint is they don't do enough to protect the seller from ********! Sold a electric fan to a guy where I provided the part#, size, etc..... the guy requested a return so I naturally asked why and the answer was "it doesn't fit". I was rather rude and basically told him he was an idiot.... that cost me my 100% positive feedback lol. If someone provides dimensions and a part# there is absolutely no excuse to return the part because it doesn't fit!!!!!!

I've been fortunate with them.. bought a lot of parts ( over 150 purchases) over the last 14 years and can't complain.. careful about what I pay ..do my homework what parts are worth..most people with a lot of sales are pretty trustworthy ..paypal has been good for me.. just my experience,,...

Last edited:
Other than being the only game in town for some stuff..Ebay sucks ***.
Bingo !!

I couldn't had said it any better :thumbsup:

---------------------------------------------

My thoughts are buyer beware, even more so seller beware,
I didn't have any issues ever until I got one bad review,
by some east coast prick that wouldn't pay, it snowballed after that
too many scammers trying to get something over on everyone,
seems even mores so in the MOPAR realm, opportunists, flippers
low ballers that by junk & then sell worn out ****, for premium prices
misrepresented photos or parts, descriptions & fitments wrong etc.

why I call it E-Scam still to this day, it's not worth my greif

IMO way too many loons/flakes to deal with,
Always seemingly, "I'm sick I can't ship it" or "my work is too busy" BS
lame excuses, just ship the freaken' item already

But that's me, if I need something bad enough &
it's the only recourse...
I'd maybe result to buying off E-bay again,
BUT; I'll never ever sell anything on E-scam ever again...

Last edited:
try being overseas ,all three of my cars came off eBay( after getting them inspected) .all deals went without a hitch couldn't be happier . also buy most of the parts I need off there as well :thumbsup: only had one item not arrive and PayPal refunded my money .
I also spend about an hour a day searching for cars/parts or just for the heck of it , don't know why you guys hate it so much its the only game in town for us overseas buyers and I don't have and never have had a problem with it

They're so PC, that you can't leave bad feedback for anyone[God forbid the ******** are shown]. They'll run you thru their process, side with the seller[especially the 1000's of sales guys] and leave you fucked. It's happened to me, 3 times. I hate that fuckin site, but sometimes in a complete internet search...the only visible sellers of your needed item, are on ebay. I'd love to meet the people who make the dispute decisions. I have some garbage parts I'd love to give them an enema with.

They're so PC, that you can't leave bad feedback for anyone[God forbid the ******** are shown]. They'll run you thru their process, side with the seller[especially the 1000's of sales guys] and leave you fucked. It's happened to me, 3 times. I hate that fuckin site, but sometimes in a complete internet search...the only visible sellers of your needed item, are on ebay. I'd love to meet the people who make the dispute decisions. I have some garbage parts I'd love to give them an enema with.
In all the years selling on ebay I only had two buyers to dispute. Those two buyers it was their own personal fault for not doing their homework before buying or reading the full add(lol). As a seller I just had them send them back and issue a refund. Easy and less headaches....relisted hem and sold!

When it comes to telling me what I should discount etc....I will drag you over the coals and tell you to piss off! My add, my terms.

Unfortunately, ebay has ran sellers like me and others off and then you have to deal with the shady sellers.....

Bought a lot of parts through ebay that would take a lot longer to find elsewhere. I had trouble with two sellers that I had to report. One took eight pictures of a part but not of one that showed where it was damaged. After reporting him to ebay he blocked me! Another I waited over a month for a part that was paid and I did not receive. He claimed it was sent to me with a tracking number that went to someone else. His fault and he blocks me! Basically do your homework. I agree that a lot of sellers have stuff they think command gold prices for. I would like to sell some parts that I have but do not want these gold price idiots to get them and try to screw regular people that are trying to restore their cars at an affordable price.

I am not a member for 2 years now. Like everything a few can ruin a great thing. I was a member right at the start of ebay. I have purchased tons of things on that site. I got taken twice both times for a large sum of money. The first time was before pay-pal so I lost everything to the tune of 850.00. The second time I lost 1350.00 and it was pay-pal that helped a liar and thief take it from me so I canceled membership in both and will never belong to either again. With that said yes I suffer from not being a member because there are good deals that can be gotten no where else. I have to go to swap meets for hard to find items that might be on ebay all the time. But that is my choice over all it is a great place till you get burned.

Bought a lot of parts through ebay that would take a lot longer to find elsewhere. I had trouble with two sellers that I had to report. One took eight pictures of a part but not of one that showed where it was damaged. After reporting him to ebay he blocked me! Another I waited over a month for a part that was paid and I did not receive. He claimed it was sent to me with a tracking number that went to someone else. His fault and he blocks me! Basically do your homework. I agree that a lot of sellers have stuff they think command gold prices for. I would like to sell some parts that I have but do not want these gold price idiots to get them and try to screw regular people that are trying to restore their cars at an affordable price.
Have you noticed the for sale section here? A lot of those members you refer to that you want to sell your parts too are right here under your nose? Under your thread postings since 2012 you do not have a single ad listed? I do see you had several "WTB" postings in the sales section area?

Or are you too Silver for the members here? Just saying.......What a good time to start, right?:thumbsup:

When I buy if a seller doesn't have a 100% rating I look at two things how much he sells and then look at the negative reviews. If he sells a lot and the negative reviews sound petty I ignore them. If I'm buying a big dollar item only 100% guys. Bought two Hemi carbs all well. Bought a $20 dollar item 2 weeks no show. Contacted seller he said he shipped another part the same day and the other buyer didn't get his part either. Offered a refund I said I bet it will show up so forget it. Two months later it showed. He made a mistake in putting it in a three inch tube. Must have rolled someplace and was found later. Emailed him that I got the part and told him about the tube.

I've used it for a few parts for my coronet and my srt, never had any issues but the prices can get high. If you use pay pal you are basically covered for anything that may happen. Scored some worked 906 heads for 500 I think, some challenger srt wheels with tires for Charger srt for well under market value. Like Craigslist too just scored a 75 440 block and 727 trans for 200 bucks

Yeah you have to be careful ... OH by the way I bought two cars here and got burned by both scumbags both times ( think I'd learn after the first) so its always buyer beware

Last edited:
Ebay can be good but you have to be smart.

"Buy it Now" or bidding on a part, you have to know what you are looking at, you have to know it's value. Look at the sellers ratings to know their good or bad standings. Also keep in mind what state or country the seller is from.

Always use PayPal so that you are protected from a bad deal or not receiving what you buy. Know PayPal's rules and policies. If the buyer wants you to pay any other way or go off site to complete the transaction, that's a Red Flag!

Other buyers are useing computer programs to outbid you at the last second. It's called useing a "sniper". You won't have the final bid if someone has this in place. Just place a bid for the highest amount that you would pay and hope for the best.

If the seller has a "Buy it Now" on his add and you think it is too high, you could try to send him an offer. Some adds have the option of offering a amount other than the listed price. "OBO"

One thing to keep in mind is that you are bidding against the whole world when you're on there. Bidding won't always go in your favor. I've made some really great deals on there but I've missed a lot more...

Selling on there can be another experience. You'll have to deal with people who might not follow through. The fee's have become worse over the years. I sell local now days...
100% true have found lots of deals and sold a lot of stuff just be smart and know your limit.
If you think NOS is expensive, check the price of chrome, then it doesn't look so expensive.
Paypal only was to go, Buying and selling.

I have bought and sold a ton of stuff on eBay with very few minor problems that where easily resolved, when buying you need to do your homework for sure, and when selling you need to be super honest. I don't mind the fees so much becouse the alternative is setting up a booth in front of my house.

This type of Ebay post comes up often on all the car forums. Its funny how everyone complains about Ebay but it is still the largest online marketplace of its type worldwide by an enormous margin. I've been a buyer and seller since 1999 and my retirement business since 2012 is selling auto related stuff on Ebay. Sure there is a lot of rules, fees, and bias toward buyers but I have still been very successful and have had an extremely low amount of trouble with my customers - because the first rule of selling is "the customer is always right". The biggest problem with Ebay is the unfortunate amount of online troll buyers and sellers that go out of their way to antagonize each other - and that is not EBay's fault.

Have you noticed the for sale section here? A lot of those members you refer to that you want to sell your parts too are right here under your nose? Under your thread postings since 2012 you do not have a single ad listed? I do see you had several "WTB" postings in the sales section area?

Or are you too Silver for the members here? Just saying.......What a good time to start, right?:thumbsup:
I will when the time comes.

Sure there is a lot of rules, fees, and bias toward buyers but I have still been very successful and have had an extremely low amount of trouble with my customers - because the first rule of selling is "the customer is always right". The biggest problem with Ebay is the unfortunate amount of online troll buyers and sellers that go out of their way to antagonize each other - and that is not EBay's fault.

lol,excuse me,im a bit confused by your statement there...
are you saying that
because we put up stuff for sale and then some jackass bids on it 14 times gets the winning bid and then ducks out due to >>> i Didnt mean to Bid??
i clicked bid by accident,i dont have any money to buy this so please please take back my 14 bids??

that we the sellers are somehow responsible??!!

and that ebay who then does nothing to these jackasses,
but send them an email saying dont do thatttttttt
i guess well it must be our fault too.
obviously ebay shouldnt be expected to you know,Clean up their own site.
lol!

in my opinion,the customer Isnt always right,Esp on Ebay.
some members here already mentioned their customers shady tactics,
ie,wanting shipping for free,making demands,trying to use ebays policies against you,
when all you want to do is sell an item and make someone happy.

is ebay the place to find stuff,yes!,but youd best be careful cause it isnt like the older days.

The thing I would like to see, when the clock is ticking down to the last minute, you and whoever can keep on bidding past the end of the sale. Just like at a regular auction being held in public.

Auto Transport Service
Back