• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

zero oil pressure at idle

3rdelke

Local time
6:24 PM
Reaction score
well thanks to everyone who have helped us get this car this far along. Kevin is finally driving his car. on his first run of 40 miles he noticed his oil pressure at idle dropped to zero (good eye son). still has 65 lbs at higher rpms. we built it with a melling oil pump. 477 bb stroker , dual quad. help! thanks, Bob and Kevin PS...think we will change oil, filter, sending unit, and maybe the gauge....

Hi,
Gee, seems like the gage does work if it is reading at 65psi.

I would pull a valve cover and see if oil is in the rockers.

A bit of advice:
-Perform 1 troubleshooting step at a time.

What weight oil are you using? How about changing to a thicker oil? I'm thinking loose bearing clearance initially but I'm sure we will get some more opinions.

Does the pressure drop coincide with the rpm? If so I think I'd start with the relief.

well thanks to everyone who have helped us get this car this far along. Kevin is finally driving his car. on his first run of 40 miles he noticed his oil pressure at idle dropped to zero (good eye son). still has 65 lbs at higher rpms. we built it with a melling oil pump. 477 bb stroker , dual quad. help! thanks, Bob and Kevin PS...think we will change oil, filter, sending unit, and maybe the gauge....

I had a similar issue a while back.....and one of the best things I did was pull the dizzy and when the car was cold, prime the oil pump to see if it pulls oil at low RPM. It's very important that you get a feel for the pump when it grabs the oil. If the process seems to be taking forever then we may have other issues indeed. Also, have a look at the oil pressure lineto see if any thick oil sludge got in there....possibly looking at the end of engine side of the line.

I keep an old mechanical oil pressure gauge around just for testing stuff like this. Had a brand new sending unit that was bad a while ago and checking the pressure with the mechanical gauge saved a lot of unnecessary work.

The mechanical gauge is a first step. One other thing to check is the clearance of all the lifters in the lifter bores. Had a small block once that had one lifter bore was the wrong size.

This should be in the general discussion or
some other section other than the welcome wagon too
it'd get far more views

I'd try a different gauge 1st too
proceed from there

thanks to all, we changed from a fram to a wix filter and presto! 78 lbs. at upper rev range about 30 at idle. hard to believe a five dollar filter could destroy a motor worth thousands. thanks again. now if it will just the way it is

Fram at the Auto Store known as the "Orange wall of death. Wix or Napa Gold.

thanks to all, we changed from a fram to a wix filter and presto! 78 lbs. at upper rev range about 30 at idle. hard to believe a five dollar filter could destroy a motor worth thousands. thanks again. now if it will just the way it is

Another proven case that Fram Filters should never be used on these engines! Or any in my book.

Glad you caught it in time. X2 on "Good eye Kevin!"

Perfect

Wow, thanks for the tip on Fram filters! Don't ask me why but I've ran Fram filters regularly but for some reason switched to WIX once I built my Charger..... lucky I guess?

Fram at the Auto Store known as the "Orange wall of death. Wix or Napa Gold.
I won't use Fram or Purolator. I've been told that Fram filters can come apart inside, plug up and go into bypass and you can't tell it happened. Bypass = no filtration. I also recommend NAPA Gold (made by Wix) Or K&N if you can afford 'em. Oil & filters are not the place to go cheap.

I won't use Fram or Purolator. I've been told that Fram filters can come apart inside, plug up and go into bypass and you can't tell it happened. Bypass = no filtration. I also recommend NAPA Gold (made by Wix) Or K&N if you can afford 'em. Oil & filters are not the place to go cheap.

........Fram is not what it used to be......had one collapse.....

Auto Transport Service
Back