• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zinc Oil and Zinc Oil Additives, for flat tappet setups, recommendations?

idrivemopar

Local time
5:01 PM
Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone is doing for either zinc oil or zinc oil additives, as my 340 will require the use of zinc oil. My builder mentioned some brand name they user, forgot it at the moment, but would like to know what everyone else is using whether its zinc oil or regular oil with zinc additives.

Thanks!

I use Liqui Moly oil.. this oil includes MOS2 this saves the cam and the lifters.. Adding some "Zddp" is also possible...

Greetings Juergen

I always like the idea of using a break in oil for the first fire up. Amsoil, Joe Gibbs racing oil, comp cams and other make a break in oil. After break in I currently run Amsoil Z rod oil in my cars. I have also used Joe Gibbs hot rod oil with good results from both. Brad Penn and others also make good quality oils for flat tappet cams. Every one seems to have there own personal idea on what best when it comes to oil, but I am just listing what has worked for me.
Matt

I'm running Royal Purple with a Rislone additive in my 440. Just drove to the Nats and back (3 hours at 3000 rpm) with no problems. Bruce

I've been using Royal Purple HPS with zinc in it already
Mike Z.

Lucas makes a high zinc break in additive that can be used with every oil change (just less of it) to protect flat tappet engines.
But most say that oils with high zinc already in them work better.

Brad Penn is what my builder suggested. sounds like that should be ok.

go to advance auto get the valvoline vr i racing oil it has plenty of zinc in it and found locally too!

Sonny uses AMSOIL....AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil is specially engineered for classics' and high-performance uses (zinc).
American :cheers2:(USA)!corporation based in Superior, Wisconsin.

Hope it helps!

I have used Brad Penn oil plus a bottle of Lucas break in lube in both my mopar solid lifter stock cars...no problem...one motor has been running since 2005...

I would use graphite rub on cylinders for break in. A small container is 20.00, then use a zinc rich oil that Has Molybdenum. After break in you still need need an oil with these two ingredients to protect cylinder walls.

I use Valvoline VR1 racing oil and add a bottle of zinc additive. I have never had a cam lobe wipe on me. Ron

Brad Penn

Just wondering what everyone is doing for either zinc oil or zinc oil additives, as my 340 will require the use of zinc oil. My builder mentioned some brand name they user, forgot it at the moment, but would like to know what everyone else is using whether its zinc oil or regular oil with zinc additives.

Thanks!

Brad Penn here is the info and the site.

http://www.penngrade1.com/

Jeff

Valvoline VR 1 in both of my big blocks.

Auto Transport Service
Back