• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zinc Rich Primer - anyone use this?

MGKelly

Local time
5:37 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone used this product or recommend it?

Thanks, Joe

zinc.jpgzinc1.jpgzinc2.jpg

Joe, Looks like this is more of a industrial coating(ships, bridges, etc.)but according to the tech sheet it would work as a weld through primer. Before you apply this the metal has to be clean so in that case I would just go with a good epoxy primer like SPI and eliminate this zinc primer.

Thanks for the reply!
I looked at SPI also, would there be any benefit zinc primer then epoxy?

Joe, Looks like this is more of a industrial coating(ships, bridges, etc.)but according to the tech sheet it would work as a weld through primer. Before you apply this the metal has to be clean so in that case I would just go with a good epoxy primer like SPI and eliminate this zinc primer.

I don't see any advantage. I do believe there is some zinc in the SPI epoxy.

This is a bridge Paint only. It is loaded with naptha and the zinc will not work like a Hot gavanizing compound. You will have leach thru for months after application.

The leach thru statement was enough, i'm going with SPI epoxy. I want to make sure I prep and protect the metal correctly without problems the first time. Thanks!!

Auto Transport Service
Back